Songs in a Life: Ms. Meaghan Laughlin

Porter Weisberg’s “Songs in a Life” column intends to express the story of people’s lives via an 11-song playlist. His first subject, Ms. Meaghan Laughlin, is an English Teacher at LFHS. Follow @theforestscout on Spotify for all of the “Songs in a Life” features as well as playlists curated by our authors.

Taste in music or any one person’s favorite songs vary and change as much as they do while growing up. Pick anyone from class or in the halls. Chances are, the music they listened to in 6th grade isn’t the same as the music they listen to now. That said, certain songs take us back to specific moments in time. It helps us to recall the feelings and sentiments that were present in life’s most important moments. 

Highlighted in the first edition of “Songs in a Life”  is Ms. Laughlin, who described herself as “someone that grew up with music always on at all times.” In this playlist, Ms. Laughlin shares a part of herself and her childhood through the music she remembers most at varying points in her life. 

“Second Hand News”- Fleetwood Mac

“My mom first introduced me to Fleetwood Mac as a really young kid. They have always been one of my favorite bands, and so she passed that love on to me too. This song, in particular, is the first song on their Rumours album and one that I just absolutely love. It makes me think of my mom and driving around from practice to practice as a young kid.”

“Hound Dog”- Elvis Presley

“I have a very vivid memory of being a little girl and blasting this song in the car with my dad. My dad had just bought a new car and it had a sunroof, which to us was the coolest thing in the world. When we would pull off the main street and on to our little street in Northern California, my dad would slow down, open the sun roof, and allow me and my brothers to stick our heads out, like dogs, and belt this song out.”

“We Don’t Care”- Kanye West

“This song brings me right back to high school. At this point in our lives, when this song comes on at weddings of high school friends, it immediately transports us back in time and makes us feel like we are 17 again.”

“Wish You Were Here”- Pink Floyd

“I have always found this song to be sad and heart wrenchingly beautiful at the same time. There is just something about picturing goldfish swimming in a small fishbowl with no place to go that gets me every time.”

“Maggie May”- Rod Stewart

“In order to make cleaning up or doing after-dinner dishes fun, our parents would always blast music in the background. This song in particular is a family favorite and still makes doing dishes at least bearable.”

“Doo Wop (That Thing)”- Lauryn Hill

While all my friends were listening to the Spice Girls and Baby One More Time I received my first album by the name The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill and was admittedly disappointed, at first. I had never heard of Lauryn Hill and figured it was some nobody my brother picked up from listening to the radio. I was strongly mistaken as Lauryn Hill helped foster of my love of hip-hop and boss ladies with messages of equality and empowerment.”

“All These Things That I’ve Done”- The Killers

“This song reminds me of some of my favorite things. One of my oldest and best friends, running, and Camp Hope.”

“I And Love And You”- The Avett Brothers

“A simple song of words overused but never underused when said by the people you truly love.”

“Bob Dylan’s Dream”- Bob Dylan

“One of my brothers has always been obsessed with Bob Dylan. My older brother introduced and continues to introduce me to music that I don’t think I would otherwise discover on my own. Music is something we have always shared with one another and this song will always remind me of him.”

“Golden Years”- David Bowie

When the inevitable feelings of homesickness set in my freshmen year of college, I was unlike many friends who could hop in a car or bus for a few hours and make it home. Coming home would involve a rather expensive plane ticket and that just wasn’t going to happen. In order to help quell those feelings of homesickness, my brothers surprised me and each burned a CD (this was before Spotify) of their favorite songs. This song is one that is an immediate mood booster and reminds me of my brothers.

“Oh, Tonight”- Josh Abbott Band ft. Kacey Musgraves

“Just love this song.”