Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

What Does the Future Hold for Tiktok

TikTok is a social media app known worldwide that currently has more than 1 billion users. The app consists of different videos ranging from 15 second long videos up to 10 minutes long. The content produced is full of entertaining and amusing influencers which heavily appeal toward the likings of the majority of the teenage population across the globe. 

With the app being around for eight years now, previously known as Musically, many authoritative figures within the country have grown concerned that the overly intriguing platform has become a threat to national security. TikTok is currently owned by “ByteDance” (a Chinese company) and the United States government believes the company has the ability to “manipulate the algorithms” on the app to negatively influence Americans.

According to the New York Times, officials are becoming increasingly worried about the amount of access TikTok has to certain information.

Lawmakers and regulators in the West have increasingly expressed concern that TikTok and its parent company, ByteDance, may put sensitive user data, like location information, into the hands of the Chinese government.”

Starting in March of 2024, the United States House of Representatives passed “H.R. 7521” to ban TikTok immediately if ByteDance doesn’t sell the app to an American company, within the next six months. Recently, TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew appeared at a hearing before Congress.

Photo courtesy of Mckenzy Hoopis.

The company has even gone to the extent of asking their American users to take action in order to counteract this ban by expressing their concern to their state senator. The users were calling in order to urge those in the senate to “vote no on the TikTok ban.” 

When users opened their app, they were immediately directed to this announcement with the suggestion to connect with their senator. This was pushed out with the intent of TikTok’s loyal users standing up for the app and convincing their senators to keep the app running. 

However, there is still hope for TikTok to be saved and the future of the app is still up in the air for further decisions. 

$600
$800