Thursday’s 13: Dennis Eveleigh

Thursdays 13: Dennis Eveleigh

Dennis Eveleigh is a Senior at Lake Forest High School and is a defenseman for the varsity hockey team.

When and why did you start playing hockey?

I started to play hockey around the age of 5, starting with basic skating lessons and then moving forward into playing club at around 7. The sport had just always interested me, and I have family that plays as well, so the exposure to hockey was there from the start.

What is the biggest challenge the Scouts will face this year?

We just have to be careful not to beat ourselves out there. I honestly think that if we play our game and do our jobs, no team can beat us. It’s just a matter of coming in with the right mindset.

What is the scariest moment that you have experienced on the ice?

Personally out on the ice I haven’t seen anything scarier than some nasty skate cuts, but the scariest overall moment that I have witnessed was at a tournament when I was warming up next to the rink, and some kid just got decked headfirst into the boards unconscious. The ambulance came and everything, so that’d probably be the scariest moment.

Why do you love playing hockey?

Hockey is a very unique sport, and that is why I think I gravitate towards it. It’s also just a lot of fun especially in game scenarios.

What are your pregame musts’?

Before I leave the house to go to a game I always make myself a coffee. I don’t really know why, but it’s always helped me focus for some reason.

What is the hardest part about the sport?

The hardest part is definitely keeping your cardio up in the offseason. We don’t have too long of an offseason but it’s definitely long enough to have to recondition when it comes down to tryouts.

What is the greatest moment you have experienced in your years of playing hockey?

My team a few years back, before I played high school hockey, won a tournament in a stacked league. Every team we played against underestimated us, and we ended up winning five games including the championship. It was just a really great experience succeeding as the underdogs.

If you could be any superhero who would you be?

Probably Batman, because Batman is a pretty cool guy.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

When people ask to borrow my pencil and then don’t return it. As one who will always return a borrowed pencil, I think that people should be more mindful.

If you could travel back in time, what would you travel back to and why?

I would probably travel back to 2001, because I could watch the Patriots win all of their Super bowls, and probably get rich investing in companies that I know would be successful.

Who is your favorite professional athlete and why?

Tom Brady, because the story of the 6th round draft pick turned into a 5-time superbowl champion is pretty cool. Also, the way he approaches his goals and his mindset going through challenges are things that we could all apply to our lives.

If you could talk to one species of an animal, what animal would you talk with?

Dogs, because they’re the animal that I see the most, and would probably spend the most time with.

Hot dogs, boiled or grilled?

Boiled for sure.