Thursday’s 13: Peter Turelli

Thursday’s 13: Peter Turelli

Peter Turelli is a senior and three year member of the varsity baseball team. He will captain the squad this year as they begin practice this week.

When and why did you start playing baseball?

I’ve been playing baseball ever since I can remember. I started playing because it’s been in my family for generations. My grandfather played in the Yankees organization as a pitcher, my father played at the University of Iowa, and two of my three older brothers have gone on to play at the collegiate level. I love to play all sports and I’m a very competitive guy. But baseball always just clicked with me, there’s simply nothing like playing baseball in the summer with the boys.

Do you have a favorite memory of the sport?

Sophomore year I pitched a one-hit game, to my brother Paul, who was the senior catcher at the time. He then went on to hit a walk-off home run to end the game. It was a special moment that included both baseball and with family.

What’s the goal for this year’s baseball team?

Of course the goal is to be State Champions this year, obviously this is an extremely tough goal. However I do believe we have the talent and team bond needed to get this done. First I know we are capable of being Conference Champs, and redeem ourselves from last year and be Regional Champs.

Who’s a candidate to be a breakout star this year?

Breck Nowik, no doubt. He was on varsity last year and was one of the top guys. He recently hit 88 MPH from the mound at a PBR showcase. He’s going to be a great asset for us on the bump, at the plate, and on the left side of the infield.  

Any pre-game rituals you have?

Last year, our assistant Coach San Hamel started a new tradition. He is a school counselor for Loyola Academy, and used his counseling skills in leading us in a pregame meditation to help us in hitting the ball. We really struggled at the dish before this, but after we started it we broke out on a 10 game winning streak. I can’t wait to continue this tradition in the spring.

Do you have a favorite opponent on the diamond?

Libertyville, I absolutely hate losing to them and loving nothing more than to beat them. They swept us last year in our series, and I can’t wait to play them. I also enjoy playing them since a lot of the player I know from my summer travel team Slammers.

Who’s your favorite baseball player of all time?

Ted Williams, he’s the greatest hitter to ever live. My father always told me that ever since I could talk. We’ve bonded over the greatness of Ted’s swing ever since.

What’s your favorite aspect of the sport?

To be a great baseball player you don’t need to be 6’5’’ 250 lbs like it football, or 6’8’’ in basketball. You need to master the skill part of the game just as much as the mental part. Also that it’s really the only sport where you can fail 7 out of 10 times at your job and still be great.

Sandlot or Field of Dreams?

Field of Dreams; it’s one of my favorite movies ever. It’s a beautiful film, and very emotional. Although Sandlot is a total classic.

If you could be any animal what would it be and why?

An eagle or any bird; I’d want to fly and see the world.

Favorite thing to do during free time?

Play baseball.

What’s your ideal breakfast?

Hash Browns, eggs, and avocado toast.

If your house is burning and you can only take 3 things what would it be? (Family, phone, and pets are safe)

A good attitude, a new perspective about life and the value of things since my house just burned down, and my Ted Williams signed baseball

Bobby Winebrenner, Editor

Bobby Winebrenner returns to The Forest Scout as a senior. He spent his summer playing golf with his dad and working as a camp counselor. He plays lacrosse,...