Lake Forest High School establishes plan for upcoming peaceful protests

On Wednesday, March 14, LFHS students are walking out.

We will be joining high schools across the country where students have been participating in walkouts and protests to honor the 17 victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting and to push lawmakers into action on the issue of gun violence and school safety.

Junior Averi Nolan posted a call to action on Facebook on February 22, praising “our own peers” for “boldly confronting lawmakers despite their recent trauma.” She also acknowledged that “we may not all have the same views on gun control laws,” but that we can all come together to take a stand for change.

As described on Facebook, LFHS students who wish to participate should stand up and quietly leave their classrooms at 10:00 am on Wednesday, March 14, the one month anniversary of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting. Go outside to the front lawn to join your classmates and lock arms with those around you. Stand silently until 10:17 am, then return to your next class (4th period). Some students have also suggested wearing burgundy and silver, the school colors of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Legally, teachers and administrators are not allowed to participate in or plan protests or walkouts while on the job. We have to do it ourselves. That said, teachers will be supervising students who participate and those who remain inside. Participating students will not be given unexcused absences.

Teachers will supervise students on the front lawn during the walkout. Other teachers will be stationed inside the commons area and cafeteria to make sure that all students are properly monitored during this time.

If you’re still worried about potential repercussions, several colleges, including Ivy League institutions, have issued statements saying that disciplinary actions for peaceful walkouts will not affect admissions decisions. Many have come out praising students for their brave dedication to this important cause.

Other upcoming dates for national walkouts are March 24 and April 20 — the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting. Whether large numbers of LFHS students will participate in those events remains to be seen.  

$500
$800