Students, Please Respect Senior Privileges

Rory Summerville, Managing Editor

For decades, senior privileges at LFHS have been acknowledged and respected. Seniors guarded the senior star as if it were sacred, they came and went through the day using their senior passes, sat at the high tables during lunch, and had study hall in the upper commons. 

Of course, a lot of these privileges are not allowed this year due to COVID-19 restrictions. The high tables have been removed and seniors cannot leave the building in the middle of the day. Seniors only got two months in the building full time. This year has felt extremely fast, but, due to a lack of normalcy, it has simultaneously proven to be a battle.. 

Sadly, senior privileges have also been heavily affected this year. While the senior parking lot has also been opened up to juniors, the lot is still being overrun by parents of underclassmen waiting to pick them up after school. Every day, there are at least a dozen parents who wait in empty spots for their children in senior parking despite a sign at the entrance stating that they cannot be down there until after 3:30 p.m. It’s disheartening to watch adults completely disregard the rules that the school set. For the past 3 years, all of the seniors have had to wait at the front of the school for our parents to pick us up in the mainline. There is a level of excitement that comes along with driving and parking on campus, but this feeling has turned into irritation when the lot is filled with those who do not have parking passes. 

“Before and after school my parking spot has been constantly taken by parents dropping or picking up their kids, making the lines longer. I am upset since I pay for that spot,” senior Mia Springer said. 

On my first day of school freshman year, the most important thing my senior sister said to me was, “do not walk up those glass stairs”. The upper commons has been known for several years as “the senior commons.” It is a place where non-seniors wouldn’t dare step into, and many of us have anticipated sitting there for years. 

Senior privileges are not meant to be mean to other students or unfair, it is simply about waiting your turn.

When I first learned that an underclassman study hall would be held in the senior commons, it was extremely frustrating, especially knowing that a senior study hall was being held in the Little Theatre. To know that this place was no longer something for seniors bothered me, especially after everything we had already lost. The underclassmen study hall has since been moved to a different location, which has made many seniors excited to once again have a sacred space to ourselves. Still, many freshmen, sophomores, and juniors cut through the upper commons to go to class. I was shocked when I saw this happening, even with countless signs on the stairway and door saying “seniors only”. 

“I‘ve tried to make this a hub for all seniors,” study hall advisor Mrs. Hektor said. “No matter what kind of a day they are having, they can come to chill out and talk with friends. These kids have worked so hard, they deserve a space like this. I’m thrilled to welcome every single senior every year to the senior commons and help them throughout the year.”

The main factor in these instances is a lack of communication from seniors to other students. 

“Some freshmen don’t even know what the senior commons are, which isn’t their fault. I think it’s a matter of spreading the information and making sure the message is clear that this is a senior designated space,” senior Callie Birtman said. 

Senior privileges are not meant to be mean to other students or unfair, it is simply about waiting your turn. My fellow classmates and I have waited our four years to enjoy all the wonderful opportunities of senior year, and now we have so few. 

These senior traditions – the parking lot, off campus passes, senior breakfasts, ditch day, senior prank, protecting the senior star, front row at sporting events, and the upper commons – all make senior year special. 

Please, be respectful to the upperclassmen and their traditions. Your time will come.