Boys Golf Goes Low Again

Instead of heading north for the weekend, the Varsity boys golf team headed south to Buffalo Grove Golf Course where they looked to keep a successful season going. While the Scouts cruised to victory against Stevenson earlier in the week, it would take a stronger performance to keep their winning ways alive on Saturday. Stevenson, New Trier, and Glenbrook North were some of the notable opponents that the Scouts would have to battle even harder to take home the Buffalo Grove Invitational.

Golf got underway on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon as the top six from each team headed out to do battle for eighteen holes. The setup was untraditional at the BG invite as each team would take the best four scores from each nine holes instead of the overall eighteen. This awkward setup did not change the mindset of the Scouts players as they looked to be smart and aggressive to conquer a tricky Buffalo Grove course.

Senior Jed Thomas got off to a quick start with three early birdies on the front nine. However, it was a roller coaster round as Thomas unfortunately suffered a few bogeys later on the front as well. The wild round ended with five birdies and an eagle, but also six bogeys and a double as Thomas finished with a round of 73 (+1). Junior Danny Fisher played the front nine well, too, as he was two under par at the turn. Fisher carded a solid round of 72 (E), but it definitely could have been better as he surrendered an unfortunate double bogey on the tricky eighteenth hole. The stoic and consistent Connor Polender played well once again as he finished at 72 (E) as well. Polender carved his way through a challenging Buffalo Grove course with precision and design as he helped out the Scouts’ score Saturday as he has been doing all year.

Team captain Scott Frevert fired another strong round of 70 (-2). The senior placed second overall in the invitational and recorded five birdies and three bogeys. In fact, he hit an incredible seventeen out of eighteen greens in regulation and his only bogeys came from three putts after hitting the green in regulation. Frevert was consistent with his ball striking once again, and showed the leadership and game on the course that coach Jim Matheson was looking for Saturday.

Overall, the Scouts combined for 141 strokes on the front nine and 145 strokes on the challenging back side. With those scores the Scouts finished with 286 total strokes which was good enough to beat New Trier by two strokes and Stevenson by four. The Scouts played very well on Saturday, but the other north shore teams showed that nothing will be easy for the rest of the season. In order to keep a strong season alive this team will have to continue their strong and consistent play to keep the wins going. Lake Forest will host Libertyville on Tuesday at Knollwood Country Club and then travel down to Exmoor Country Club for a triangular match on Wednesday. Capping off a busy week for the Scouts will be a match at Lake Bluff against Mundelein on Thursday.