Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Bears Offseason and Predraft Analysis

Photo via Chicago Bears (twitter)

As the NFL 2024 Draft creeps closer and closer, the Bear’s time on the clock shortens and shortens. After the trade that sent Justin Fields to Pittsburgh, it’s now apparent that Caleb Williams will be selected with the first overall pick and become a Bear. In the past month, many game-changing trades have occurred which have given the Bears more firepower not just on offense, but on defense too. 

The most significant trade in my opinion that has bettered the Bears organization, was the acquisition of Keenan Allen, a Wide Receiver from the Los Angeles Chargers. Allen has been a Charger his entire career, with statistics that show his eliteness throughout his time there. Many say Allen is at the end of his career since the wideout is currently 31 years old. Although 31 is typically seen as the tipping point for wide receivers in their end-of-career status, Allen recorded 1243 yards (11th most) on 108 receptions (6th most), all while playing just 13 games. General Manager of the Chicago Bears, Ryan Poles, acquired the star wideout for just a 4th round pick in the upcoming draft. This trade allows for Caleb Williams to now have not just DJ Moore and Cole Kmet to throw to, but now Allen.

Another acquisition the Bears conducted was the addition of running back D’Andre Swift through free agency. The Bears signed Swift for a 3-year contract worth $24.5 million with $15.3 million guaranteed. Swift rushed for 1049 yards (5th) on 229 carries (9th) while also gaining 7 touchdowns this season. Swift has been running behind top-tier offensive lines for all of his career. Seeing a now average offensive line as the Bears, it’ll be interesting to see if Swift can maintain his explosiveness throughout the season, especially since Swift is considered one of the more injury-prone running backs. 

The Bears also acquired free safety Kevin Byard from the Eagles this offseason. Although Byard is a shadow of his former self, his addition will further benefit the secondary of the Bears. Byard will contribute as a solid starter with star cornerback Jaylon Johnson who was also recently extended making him one of the higher-paid cornerbacks in the league.

In the upcoming draft, it’s very apparent that the Bears will be selecting Caleb Williams with the No.1 overall pick. However, it’s quite the opposite with the Bears No.9 draft pick. In my opinion, the most viable positions to take here would be a defensive end or an offensive tackle.

“At No.9 if I were the Bears I would pick DE Jarod Verse from Florida State, although they may be able to trade down a few picks and get him or a player like him.  Getting another defensive end to match Montez Sweat would really solidify their pass rush,” said Scott Gilbert, who has been a longtime Bear fan. 

Many people think taking another wideout like Rome Odunze or Malik Nabers (if he falls to No.9), is the right thing to do in elevating the Bears offense further. However, I would have to disagree with that thinking since we now have 2 very solid receivers in Moore and Allen, along with Cole Kmet at Tight End to take a portion of the load. With the draft on Thursday, all Chicago fans are either way anxiously waiting for Caleb Williams to become an official Bear.

View Comments (1)
$600
$800