Boys Golf Team Finishes 4th Place at State

Bobby Alzamora, Staff Writer

The Varsity Boys Golf Team finished up their run to state in Bloomington at The Den at Fox Creek Golf Course over this past long weekend with a top five finish coming in at fourth place. The team shot a combined 624, 305 in the first round and 319 the second round, finishing 21 strokes behind state champion New Trier High School. 

“From bus rides with the teammates to the dinners we had together and then playing in the tournament, it was just an overall great time,” said senior Asa Thomas. 

The Scouts were able to have great team bonding experiences which helped them get to know each other better and learn about each other’s golf games. 

The team was led by junior Tadgh Burke who shot a one over par 73 during both rounds. Burke was able to stay steady throughout his second round as others around him fell down the leaderboard presenting opportunities for him to make a move. Burke finished tied for first place in the state, but eventually lost on the first playoff hole. He finished at two over par after both rounds and finished as the state runner up.  

“I didn’t even realize that I was going to be in a playoff to win the state championship, so just to be put into that situation was a cool experience. It (stinks) I wasn’t able to come out with the win, but I gave it everything I had and I just have to keep my head up and keep getting better,” said junior Tadgh Burke. 

After being a relatively young team this year, they will have six seniors next year to lead them. They will have to have some guys step up for them and take on a bigger role to fill the shoes of the seniors who are leaving. With only four of the eleven golfers being seniors, the Scouts have an amazing chance to build upon this season with how young their team was and compete for the state title for the foreseeable future. 

Johnny Creamean from New Trier, who is also a junior, beat out Tadgh Burke in the playoff hole to win the title. They will have a good chance of meeting up during the season next year, whether it is down at the state championships or on the course during the regular season.

“Both New Trier and Lake Forest seem to make it Downstate just about every year, so I think there’s a very good chance that Johnny and I will play together again,” said Burke. 

All around, the Scouts had a great season and are looking forward to continuing their success next year.