What's your ideal spring break spot?

African-American Model Recreates Ads Starring White Models to Send a Message To The Industry

Photo credits to secretofdd.com

If you counted how few African American models grace designer advertisements in magazines and print ads across the world, you may be surprised. Though we now live in an extremely diverse and accepting world, there are still stereotypes that exist– especially within the modeling industry. African American model, Deddeh Howard, lives in Los Angeles and set out on a project with hopes to create a more diverse industry.

Deddeh recreated countless advertisements that have been printed in magazines, plastered on billboards, and uploaded to websites; all of which starred white, well known models, such as supermodel sensations Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner.

Working together with her boyfriend who is a photographer, they spent a total of three months going through the process of finding exact replicas of all aspects of the ads. They did a magnificent job, as all the mimicked ads are strikingly similar, just Deddeh as the star and not the original model.

Deddeh set out on this project because she recalls times where she was turned away from jobs. She quotes agencies that said, “We like your look but there’s a black girl already”. She says these constant comments made her feel extremely insecure and not as accomplished as a model because companies were under the impression white women have to dominate their advertisements.

Debbeh and her boyfriend are optimistic that their project resonates with members of the modeling community, and hope action will be taken to feature more black models in fashion magazines and advertisements. Check out some of their work below.

Credit: secretofdd.com
Credit: secretofdd.com
Credit: secretofdd.com
Credit: secretofdd.com
Credit: secretofdd.com
Credit: secretofdd.com
Credit: secretofdd.com
Credit: secretofdd.com