The Artist Archives: Madeline Medica

Haley Zarek, Staff Writer

“Trapped in Ice” image by Madeline Medica. Made in Procreate (2019).

As senior Madeline Medica finishes up her last semester as an LFHS art student, it is clear that her creative impact and dedication will certainly outlive that of her spring graduation.

Medica has cherished drawing with her grandmother for as long as she could remember and has not stopped since, specifically refining her talents within the confines of Lake Forest High School.

She has completed an impressive ten semesters of art courses at LFHS and has undoubtedly found her artistic niche—utilizing every medium imaginable. Whether it be with more traditional materials like pencils, paint, and charcoal or more avant-garde tools like resin, felt, and yarn, Medica is always creating.

“When I’m doing art I get lost in my head,” Medica said. “It isn’t about the end result, It’s about the process. I love that it feels like time doesn’t exist and I can just zone out and be consumed in my work”. 

Medica does not limit her art-making past that of Art Club, AP 2D Design, and Guitar Making; she is found creating on and off the school clock.

During quarantine, Medica found a safe space within her basement studio. 

“Retro Butterflies” image by Madeline Medica. Medica’s favorite piece, made with oil paint, cardstock, resin, and glitter (2020).

“Quarantine really allowed me to spend time painting and drawing,” said Medica, “I had no pressure to finish any projects or draw anything specific, I just did it because it was fun.”

Currently, Medica is working on the final pieces of her AP 2D Design portfolio and is in the process of building her own guitar. Although not planning on diligently pursuing art in college, Medica said she wants to squeeze in as many creative courses as possible. 

Whether it be glancing through the first-floor hallways or at the AP Art show in May, Medica’s talent is surely something to admire—you won’t forget it, and she certainly doesn’t want you to.