Friday Five

Each week we highlight five people who are doing their part to make LFHS a better place
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Five more Scouts worth celebrating.
Taylor Ross

Nina Loiacano

Freshman Nina Loiacano is a remarkable athlete, stellar student, and compassionate friend. She is a member of the varsity lacrosse and tennis teams. Along with this, her persevering attitude has established her as a successful student-athlete.

Nina Loiacano Instagram

As only a freshman, Loiacano is a member of two varsity sports teams. She has already made a big impact both on the field and on the court.

Loiacano “surprised me even as freshman,” said Girls’ Varsity Tennis Captain Angelina Slomba. “She blended into the team environment so easily. She is a fun an positive player and always puts in the work during practice. I look forward to see how she develops in the future as a varsity athlete.”

Nina is very competitive and disciplined and always makes sure to bring that attitude to sports and schoolwork. Not only is Loiacano an outstanding athlete, she is also a great friend simultaneously.

She always makes sure to better the peers surrounding her. Loiacano’s compassion is contagious. “She always has my back,” says freshman Lila Silvers.

Charlie Quick

Sophomore Charlie Quick is involved in numerous activities at LFHS such as baseball and swimming. Outside of school, he also goes out of his way to volunteer at Beacon Place in the fall. He manages his time very well with sports, volunteering, and schoolwork, not to mention participating in club baseball on top of this. Charlie Quick is an outstanding example of someone who is super hardworking and good at managing his time.

Jack Quick

Charlie also manages to make time for his friends on top of all the activities he participates in. His friend Nate Brezak states, “I’ve known Charlie since preschool and we’ve been best friends ever since. Charlie is very driven and very hard working, whether that’s doing school work or playing baseball. He’s very responsible, does what he’s asked to do, and he’s also very mature. He’s a good person to be around and he’s just the go-to friend that you wanna have when things go downhill or even when things are going good and you need someone to have a good time with.”

Senior Sami Mulani, who is best friends with Charlie’s older brother, Jack Quick, claims Charlie is a “very nice kid, very hardworking.” He says, “He’s a humble guy, doesn’t like to brag, I think he’s super mature too.” 

Charlie is not only known for his hard work in school, but for his outstanding, mature, personality and for always being there for his friends when they need it.

Ava Fox

Senior Ava Fox has been a vital player of the LFHS Volleyball and Track & Field teams. She is the most caring person always putting in the extra effort to go the extra mile.  

Photo Courtesy of Stella Fox

Stella Fox, her twin sister said, “Well, from knowing Ava my whole life she is the most persistent, hard-working, and kind-hearted person I’ve ever met. Ava’s the kind of person to work hard for everything in life no matter how small or big it is and that’s what I admire her for, how much effort she puts into everything in her life.”

Ava is always looking for ways to help others when they truly need it. Ellie Moore said, “She’s extremely smart, hardworking, and kind. She is so much fun to be around because she always makes you laugh.”

Ava is a crucial member to the varsity volleyball team. Head coach Leah Pranke said, “Ava Fox is such an amazing teammate!! She is someone who cares so much about the game, and holds herself to such a high standard for her team. She is also incredibly supportive of everyone around her, bringing others up in any situation.”

Not only is Ava an amazing volleyball player, but she also has made a major impact on the Track & Field team. Ava, being a triple jumper for only a year, arguably one of the most technical events in the sport, already has one of the Top 5 marks in school history and placed second in the NSC 2023 conference meet. 

Being in a demanding sport with back to back meets, Ava always has a great morale.

Stella Fox also said, “She’s not all serious though she has such a big heart and loves to make others smile and laugh with the silly things she does. She cares about everyone in her life like no other and that’s also something I log about her. She’s an amazing friend, sister, daughter, and all around such an amazing person.”

Being around Ava is the best, she cheers everyone around her and pushes herself to the very best she can be. She is a well rounded athlete which is shown by her commitment to the University of Michigan for Rowing. She makes LFHS a better place.

Mary Beth Schmidt

The long distance track and field coach, Mrs. Mary Beth Schmidt is a supportive coach that is always there for every girl on the team. 

Photo Courtesy of Emily Witte

“Schmidt brings such a positive vibe to the team. She is the most supportive person and I love that she believes in us so much, sometimes more than we believe in ourselves,” says senior and distance runner Paige Gibbons. 

Compassionate towards all her runners, she makes sure she builds a connection with every member on her team. 

“She’s a very sweet and understanding coach that will always listen to you. She truly cares about her athletes and wants what’s best for them. She makes it a point to get close with her athletes and make sure they have fun competing,” says sophomore Pilar Rosales.

Not only does she bring such a tremendous light to the team, she is always there to lend a helping hand to any runner on the team. 

“Schmidt is so dedicated to making everyone better and feel good about what they do. She is always looking out for people and supporting everyone, including the parts of the team that she doesn’t coach at meets and practice,” says senior Lucy Schlachtenhaufen. 

Along with being an encouraging coach, she welcomes all her new runners with open arms and makes them feel comfortable right off the bat.

“When I first met coach Schmidt, she was so excited to have me on track before I even joined. It made me excited knowing I had Schmidt who is someone so devoted to the sport as my coach,” said junior Gabby Heintlemen. 

With her uplifting spirit, she is there to push her girls to the best of their ability.

“When I think of Schmidt she is basically the mom of the team. She’s always there to push you during workouts but knows when to back off if you need rest, helping make all the girls feel their best before races,” says junior Emily Witte.

She is all around a caring person towards every member of track and field and brings a bright attitude to every thing she does.

“She is such a cheerful and happy person and makes everyone feel included,” says junior Manon Vermer.

Sienna Daum

Junior Sienna Daum is not only an amazing student, but she is also an amazing dancer. Dedicating her time to athletics and her studies, Daum never fails to put a smile on others’ faces. 

Courtesy of Sienna Daum Instagram

“She’s got a super bubbly personality. She is always a team player and loves to help the people around her,” math partner Angelina Slomba said. 

Sienna has a huge involvement with the special needs community. She dedicates her time in school as well as out of school. In school, she is a member of Scout Buddies, Integrated Wellness, and Special Olympics. Outside of school, she is involved with Soccer Starz and just overall helping out with the community.While the sting of the previous night’s news still lingered, I felt free – for the first time in months- from the chaos that is the college admissions process. 

“Sienna is truly such an amazing person and seeing her passion to work with the special needs community inspires me so much. Sienna is on the board for our school’s Scout Buddies club, and she is always able to bring so much positive energy to every meeting and I know that members in the club can see that too. Not only is Sienna involved with Scout Buddies, but she also dances for a crazy amount of hours each week and is able to balance school and her other extracurriculars on top of it,” Sienna’s friend Ella Rubenstein says. 

Sienna is a hardworking student who is always willing to help out her classmates, committing  her little free time she has outside of school to tutor her friends, all while balancing a 20 hour dance schedule per week.

“Based on Sienna’s amazing work ethic and involvement with clubs inside of school, you would never even guess she spends so much time dancing too! I know that Sienna works so hard every single night after school to get all of her work done and dance, and she does an amazing job balancing it. I really admire her commitment to school, dance, clubs, and more!” said close friend Ella Rubenstein. Sienna is definitely a student who demonstrates the Scout Way. 

View Comments (1)
$500
$800