Annual Smoked Meat Day Returns

Photo courtesy of Chuck Spagnoli.
Photo courtesy of Chuck Spagnoli.

Next week, Thursday, April 25th, the annual smoked meat event will be back during all lunch periods.

For several years, three football coaches, Mr. Joseph Busse, Mr. Tom Soprych, and Mr. Chuck Spagnoli, have come together with their shared passion for smoking meat to serve LFHS students during lunch periods. 

Photo courtesy of Chuck Spagnoli.

The annual tradition began around 2012 when different teachers and members of the community would come in to showcase a variety of their brands and foods. Mr. Busse would also participate and come in by conducting a smoking meat class. Years later, the tradition stopped. 

After the popular day was removed, students and staff continued to ask for a day dedicated to this special smoked meat. 

“It gives people an opportunity to try foods that they typically wouldn’t get at school or even in our community. A lot of people are intimidated by the football coaches so this day helps break down that stigma and definitely makes them more approachable,” said senior Lissy Blume.

From then on, Busse, Soprych, and Spagnoli all decided they would create a day for serving their smoked meat at LFHS and have continued this day each year with the exception of 2020.  

Students don’t realize the hard work, dedication, and time that preparing and smoking the meat perfectly takes. On top of that, not many know that Busse, Soprych, and Spagnoli will spend the night at the high school checking on the meat to ensure it cooks correctly. 

Photo courtesy of Chuck Spagnoli.

A look at what is being served includes brisket, pork shoulder, and spicy sausage. And they get all the meat, sauce, and rubs from a parent who sources it for them.

“When Soprych brought up how he teaches students how to cook meat every year, I was pretty confused. After our in class experience, I was surprised at how fun and enjoyable it was. We got to have a free meal, while also learning the ins and outs of meat cooking,” said senior Travis Calaway. 

Photo courtesy of Chuck Spagnoli.

This day has brought positivity and excitement to our LFHS community year after year, as this day has cemented itself into such a strong tradition students and staff look forward to. 

“We have never had anybody complain about this day. I would say the closest complaint we have ever gotten was someone wanting us to cook vegetables, but we have no time for that,” Spagnoli said.