Girls’ Golf Completes Successful Season

Claire Mahoney

The Girls’ Golf Team ended its season Monday with an eighth place finish out of 12 at a very competitive IHSA Sectionals Tournament. The Scouts played at Blackstone Golf Course in Marengo under damp and windy conditions after a wet weekend. Clare Green led the team with an 87 while Gianna Martino shot an 88, Chloe Lee a 90, and Isabella Martino a 91. The team finished with a score of 356 strokes. Sectionals were won by Barrington, with two of their players earning the lowest scores of the day while St. Charles North and Stevenson advancing to the State Finals as well.

Although the Scouts will not advance to State, they’ve had great success this season in winning two invitationals and the Regional Tournament. With amazing senior leadership to bring together girls of all ages on the team, Isabella Martino and Clare Green have been great role models. Isabella earned the individual medal for top score at Regionals and both have produced counting scores for almost every match. Clare Green says of her LFHS golf experience, “My experience on the team has been amazing. Bella Martino, Erin Shalala, and I have been on the team together since freshman year. I learned the meaning of hard work and dedication from being on this team. All of the girls pushed each other to do better and be better golfers. I’m truly going to miss my team, but I am so lucky I get to keep all of the amazing memories from the past four years!”

Coach Johnson says that off the course the team has enjoyed bonding while volunteering at Feed My Starving Children and getting to know each other better. “Our Big Sister/Little Sister program continues to help the younger players get to know an older player and gives our team a sense of togetherness,” he says.

Overall, the team is very proud of their accomplishments this season and can look forward to another one in 2019 as the young team continues to progress. In the end, Coach Johnson says, “It was a great season with a bunch of great girls who worked hard and worked together.”

Claire Mahoney, Author

Claire Mahoney is a senior writing for the In Between the Lines and In LFHS sections of the Forest Scout. Claire is a setter on the Varsity Volleyball team and serves as the Senior Class President.