Governor Won’t Change Decision on Football

Wilson Irvin, Editor

This week Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker was asked his most recent stance on high school football in the state of Illinois. His reply did not come to any surprise, as it hasn’t changed since July.

It’s not something that is good for the families and the children of Illinois,” said Pritzker. “We have the lowest positivity rate in the Midwest and it’s still too high. The states you are talking about (Missouri, Indiana, Iowa, etc.) all have very high positivity rates.”

Despite neighboring Midwest states starting football this month, Pritzker doubled down on his decision. 

“If they decide to endanger children and families in those states by allowing certain contact sports to take place that is their decision. It’s not something that is good for the families and the children of Illinois.”

It’s been a controversial decision. Rallies have been set in downtown Chicago at the James Thompson Center, and as well as the State Capital building in Springfield.

The IHSA has tried to find a way for them to regulate their sports instead.  Last week, Craig Anderson, the IHSA Executive Director, said he sent a letter seeking permission for the IHSA and its Sports Medicine Advisory Committee to resume control over determining the resumption of sports and activities.

“Yeah it really sucks,” says senior Jack Shea, a lineman for the varsity football team at LFHS. “Every state around us is playing, so why can’t we?”