Girls’ Golf Battles in Conference

The Girls’ Golf Team competed in the North Suburban Conference tournament yesterday at Bonnie Brook Golf Course in Waukegan. On a cool, sunny fall day, the team was ready to challenge tough conference teams like Stevenson, Warren, and Lake Zurich. The team teed-off at 9 AM, playing 18 holes throughout the day.

Coming off a hard-fought win against Loyola this past Monday, the Scouts were confident to take on the long day. Seniors Isabella Martino, Clare Green, and Erin Shalala played alongside junior Gianna Martino, sophomores Susa Carlson and Elizabeth Lyon, and freshman Chole Lee. Beginning after the front nine, it showed that Lake Forest, Stevenson, and Lake Zurich would be competing for the top three spots in the seven team conference.

However, it was evident that Stevenson would pull away with the win after 18 holes, their top four scores combined giving them a team score of 309 strokes. Lake Forest and Lake Zurich were separated by just one stroke, the Bears having the edge with 351 strokes while the Scouts finished with 352. The four counting scores were Isabella Martino’s 86, Clare Green’s 87, Gianna Martino’s 87 an either Erin Shalala’s and Elizabeth Lyon’s 92.

Captain Clare Green says of the day, “I’m very proud of how conference went because as a team we all did really well. All seven of our varsity players placed in the top 22. Everyone felt like she could have done better, which just motivates us to do better in the upcoming tournaments. The results showed us how important every stroke is. I’m confident in our team with Regionals coming up.”

The girls have a tournament at Warren’s home course this Saturday which will be great preparation for Regionals next Wednesday. Antioch Regionals are held at Shepherd’s Crook Golf Course in Zion, and if the Scouts place top three out of 11 teams, they will advance to sectionals the following Monday.