Girl’s Volleyball Secures 8th Place Finish in Maine East Invitational

This weekend the Girls Volleyball Team traveled to Maine East High School to compete in five intense games against highly skilled competition. The Scouts looked strong heading into the weekend after a close game against Lake Zurich earlier in the week. Junior Soraya Burton and Junior Alyssa Thrash led the team this weekend with their strength and composure. Thrash added countless kills throughout the weekend and Burton controlled the defense for the Scouts.

The two-day tournament began Friday afternoon in Park Ridge as Lake Forest faced De La Salle, losing in three close matches: 20-25, 25-23, 7-15. After a tough loss in the first match up, Lake Forest looked strong headed into their second game of the tournament. The Scouts finished off Proviso East in two easy games. In the last game of pool play, Thrash stepped up for Lake Forest as they faced off against Maine East in two nail-biting games. The Scouts took the edge over the Blue Demons, winning 25-21, 25-23. The Scouts fought back hard after their early loss on Friday afternoon and earned a well-deserved second place finish in pool play. Senior captains Bee Ward, Claire Mahoney, and Ellie Pearson led the Scouts toward their success.

With an early wake up call, the Scouts were back in action Saturday morning, falling to Plainview East and Maine South, two talented teams, in crossover play. Junior Sheridan Young stepped up for Lake Forest and played solid defense, but it wasn’t enough for Lake Forest to come away with a win. The Scouts finished 8th place out of 16 teams. As the young team continues to improve, Lake Forest’s opponents will face a lot of competition in second half of their seasons. The Scouts look to continue growing in tonight’s conference game against the aggressive Warren Blue Devils. Let’s pack the stands at 6:00 in the Competition Gym!