Don’t Underestimate Them: Girls Volleyball Advances To Regionals

Jensen Borowski, Staff Writer

After beating Chicago Northside in 2 sets on Tuesday, the Lake Forest Girls Varsity Volleyball team is advancing to play Cary Grove High School in an away match for the Regional Championship tonight at 6 p.m.

After Tuesday’s win, the team took their record to 24 wins and 11 losses – 1 win under Lake Forest’s current girl’s volleyball win record. Leaving Cary Grove as Regional Champions tonight will bring that record to 25 wins and 11 loses, cementing the 2021 Girls Volleyball team’s place in Lake Forest High School sports history with a regional plaque and sending the team to sectionals.

However, senior right-side hitter Sydney Pitera feels confident that the team can take it even further than that.

“I think that we can make it to state. The progress that we have made as a team has made such a big impact. In our first couple games, we lost 4 out of 5 of them. We were really down on ourselves and didn’t think we could beat anyone, but after we beat Libertyville, we got the confidence to know that we could win,” Pitera said.

Senior Captain and libero Madelyn Liebelt shows the same confidence in her team’s potential.

“If we fight and really work for it tonight, I feel like we can go a lot further this season,” Liebelt said.

Liebelt and Pitera also emphasise the importance of the team’s bond on their performance this season.

“Our team has such a special bond and connection, and that plus our hard work this season makes me really confident for tonight’s match,” Liebelt said.

“I feel like we automatically snapped and became a much stronger team. People underestimate us,” Pitera said.