Roadrunners upend Scouts in shootout

LAKE ZURICH, Ill.– Though the Scouts are off to a successful (6-5, 3-1) start to their season, Coach Wilhelm has been afforded the luxury this year to up his strength of schedule from year’s past. After winning an IHSA Regional title a season ago, and with a bona fide college player in sophomore Halle Douglass, Wilhelm is able to test the Scouts’ mettle against Illinois’ best at multiple junctures throughout the year. Last night in Lake Zurich was one of those moments for the Scouts as they faced off against Nazareth Academy (11-0) of LaGrange Park and their scoring dynamo, Annie Stritzel.

The gameplan employed by Coach Wilhelm and his staff–which featured a box and one and a few other defensive tactics–held Stritzel well below her season average with a total of 11 points. However, 6’4″Alyssa Geary made her presence felt on both ends in the post, disrupting the Scouts offensive attack with her size and length alongside her prowess in the paint on the offensive end.

The Scouts eventually lost the game 55-39, making it one of their largest defeats of the season. But this is the takeaway: the Scouts got better. If the Scouts want to be serious Sectional Title contenders this season, they need to be tested by the best talent and competition the state has to offer. Tuesday night afforded the Scouts that opportunity. Challenging themselves by facing the 5th place team in the state will ultimately improve the Scouts attack on both ends when they return to NSC play this Thursday at 7:00 pm against Libertyville.