Slow finish stalls Scouts’ effort against Maine South

PALATINE, Ill.– Though they were honored to be invited, there will be better years for Lake Forest at the Fremd Shootout in Palatine, which annually hosts some of the best teams in both Illinois and Wisconsin.

Featured this weekend were teams such as Fremd, Maine West, and Beaver Dam, one of the best girls basketball schools in Wisconsin, along with Lake Forest and their staunch opponent, the (8-1) Maine South Hawks out of the highly-competitive CSL South.

The Scouts battled hard in the first half, using a 13-7 second quarter run to even the score at 20 at the halftime buzzer. The second half, however, was a different story as the Hawks pulled away, using 15 offensive rebounds throughout the game to finish with 48-30 victory. Lake Forest, who only managed three points in the fourth quarter and ten points in the entire second half, were led Halle Douglass’ 9 points. Jen Whittington and Ellie Pearson, who have both been pleasant surprises for Coach Wilhelm’s team, who is now (5-3), each had 8 points.

The Scouts look to rebound this week as they square off against Stevenson on Wednesday in Lincolnshire.