What are the consequences for vaping in school bathrooms?

Victoria Lang and Olivia Geldermann

The fire alarms went off twice in one week last month because of students  vaping  in the restrooms. In response, a few bathrooms around the school were locked, which frustrated some students and teachers.

Dean Frank Lesniak said there are certain bathrooms in the building that house more trouble than others, so to prevent any suspicious behavior the deans occasionally lock them. 

Regardless of the reason, the fire department must come to the school and complete a thorough inspection when the fire alarm goes off. Currently, the school  is investigating to see if they can hold the student financially responsible. 

The punishment for a vape with THC or a drug that is not just a nicotine vape is 5 days of alternative to in-school suspension, which allows students to still be in classes. The alternative is 20 hours of detention outside of school hours.

If the vape only contains nicotine and no TCH, the punishment is one day of alternative to in-school suspension or 4 hours of detention outside of school hours. 

Once the student is caught with the vape, it is turned over to the police, who would write the student a ticket. The student is required to go to court and complete service hours.

The second defense of being caught with a vape in school remains that all detention would need to be served outside of school hours. For the third defense, it would be 10 days of out of school suspension.