Varsity Girls Tennis Wins Lakes Sectional, Heads to IHSA State Meet This Weekend

Photo courtesy of the Chicago Tribune

The Lake Forest Girls Varsity Tennis team took 1st in the Lake Villa (Lakes) IHSA Sectional Tournament this weekend, outlasting Warren (22), Libertyville (20), and Grant (14) to earn the honor with a final score of 28.

Freshman Alex Slomba and junior Emily Gorczynksi placed 3rd and 4th respectively for the Scouts in singles while the tandems of Nika Belova/Julianna Roman and Salma Alsikafi/Emily Asmussen placed 2nd and 3rd in doubles. All of the aforementioned athletes will be competing at the IHSA State Meet with Coach Denise Murphy and the rest of the Lake Forest Scouts team. 

The Lake Forest Girls Tennis program boasts 5 IHSA State Titles, including back-to-back championships in 2013 and 2014 under Coach Murphy. In fact, the Scouts have placed in the top 3 of the IHSA State Tournament 8 of the last 10 seasons. 

Congratulations to Lake Forest Tennis and best of luck moving forward to the ISHA State Meet held at Buffalo Grove High School this upcoming week (Thursday-Saturday).