In Honor of Noodles

October 6th, 2016 is National Noodle Day.

They say it takes one to know one, and today is no exception–you’ve got to use your noodle to figure out how to best celebrate national noodle day!

Noodles are a universally enjoyed staple, but the origin of the word itself comes from the German word nudel (coincidentally enough, it’s also national German-American day). Germans, as with most Europeans, prepare their noodles by slicing slabs of unleavened dough into long, thin strips, often made with durum or semolina flours. If you take a short flight to the other side of the Eurasian continent, however, the pastabilities truly are endless when it comes to how noodles are prepared (although it should be noted that while all noodles are pasta, not all pastas are noodles). Yams, rice, buckwheat, potatoes, and even beans have made their way into a wide assortment of noodles. With so many options, it’s no wonder that it’s considered polite in Japan to slurp your noodles as a way of showing your host how much you’ve enjoyed your meal. They also symbolize longevity in China, most likely because noodles have been around forever; in 2002, archaeologists near the Yellow River in China found a bowl containing noodles nearly 4,000 years old.

Here in America, though, we know that the noodle’s best friend is cheese. Mac ’n’ cheese holds a special place in our hearts, right next to fried chicken and mashed potatoes and images of a summertime cookouts, or cold winter nights next to a roaring fire.

For all those who love their noodles and cheese, be sure to hit up your local Noodles & Co. for a FREE bowl of mac ’n’ cheese (with the purchase of a normal-sized entrée) and a coupon for yet another bowl of mac the next time you visit.

So please, use your noodle and go out and get yourself a free bowl of noodles to celebrate National Noodle Day! (In case you’re wondering, the word “noodle” appeared 19 times in this article 🙂 )