In Honor of Good Neighbors

September 28, 2016 is National Good Neighbor Day.

When asked by Homer Simpson about the neighbor living on the other side of him, Ned Flanders replied, “Indeedily-doodily I do, and I love him just as much as you. It’s a Flanders sandwich with great neighbor bread!”

This is the attitude we should all adopt for National Good Neighbor Day (really, it should be a year-round thing, but baby steps). Neighbors, both physical and metaphorical, should be there for each other, be it for a simple cup of sugar or for the loss of a loved one. Back in the early 1970s, a woman in Montana believed so strongly in this bond of friendship between neighbors (it was the ‘70s after all) that she petitioned President Jimmy Carter to create a day in honor of neighborly love. It may have taken eight years, but in 1978, President Carter issued proclamation 4601 which said:

“As our Nation struggles to build friendship among the peoples of this world, we are mindful that the noblest human concern is concern for others. Understanding, love and respect build cohesive families and communities. The same bonds cement our Nation and the nations of the world. For most of us, this sense of community is nurtured and expressed in our neighborhoods where we give each other an opportunity to share and feel part of a larger family…I call upon the people of the United States and interested groups and organizations to observe such day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.”

Though these may seem like lofty aspirations, we can take our cue from one of the most famous neighbors (or should I say neighborinos) of all time–Ned Flanders himself. So next time you find yourself in a neighborly pickle, just think of what Flanders would say: “Now what can I ding dong diddly do for you?”