Rabjohns leads Girls tennis to a 3-0 week

The Varsity Girls Tennis Team had a very productive week in both of their matches on Tuesday and Saturday. The Scouts finished with three wins against York high school, Homewood-Flossmoor and conference opponent, Warren. The Scouts never lost focus throughout any of their matches which led them to conquer the opposing teams with such ease.

In the Scouts’ first match on Tuesday, they swiftly bested Warren in an inordinately large match-up. Warren had brought 20 girls to West Campus, forcing the Scouts to call up a selection of JV players. Some of these included the doubles pairs of Caroline Murphy/Ella White and Julia Fiordaliso/Elaina Lee. Both of the duos stepped up and delivered two wins to the Scouts’ scoreboard. Besides this change the doubles roster stayed relatively the same to previous weeks. However, the standard lineup of Kiley Rabjohns and Alex Slomba in singles was also absent in Tuesday’s match. The Scouts instead went with Gabbie Jakubowski, Juliette Prindle, and Angelica Mangiaracina on the center courts. The Scouts concluded with 11 matches won out of 11 played and another team win to rally behind going into Saturday.

The Scouts’ weekend also consisted of a couple additions to the win column in a non-conference double header. They returned to their regularly scheduled lineup with singles stars Rabjohns, Slomba and Jakubowski playing in full swing versus York and Homewood-Flossmoor. In addition to the usual trio, sophomore Cody Avis made a return to the court against York after a being out with a back injury since the start of the season. Unfortunately Avis could not come away with the win after battling for two sets. Hopefully she can shake off the rust and bounce back for next week’s conference matches. Luckily the rest of the team picked her up, taking six out of the seven matches in Lake Forest’s favor. That ended up being the only loss on the day as the Scouts swept Homewood-Flossmoor.

The Scouts’ walked away on Saturday with three wins added to their record which is now an impressive 7-1. With a tough week ahead, they look to continue their standout run in the conference and take home another tournament win next weekend. The Scouts hope to bring it today against the Zion-Benton Zee-Bees at West Campus.