Boys Soccer Reaches Win Column

LAKE FOREST, Il.– Coming off a tough opening loss against Highland Park, this Saturday the Scouts (2-2) fell to Lakes High School 0-3. But, the boys bounced back against Round Lake and North Shore, earning their first two wins of the season.

Facing off against the Eagles, the Scouts looked to reach the back of the net for the first time this season. Forward Nico De Filippis came out firing from all angles. The Scouts struggled to finish plays the entire game, they got good looks on net, but failed to score. Lakes took advantage of this and scored a total of three times, but Lake Forest junior goalie John Walsh had a strong performance. The final whistle finally blew, and after 80 minutes of play, the Scouts fell to (0-2) while Lakes picked up their first win of the year.

For their last game of the weekend, the boys soccer team faced their biggest challenge yet – missing senior captain Aved Markarian. Looking for revenge, the boys came out hungry and battled hard for their first win against Round Lake. Goals scored by juniors Nico De Filippis and Jamie Phalen, as well as senior Kean O’Connor proved to be just enough to secure the W, 3-2.

Just last night, the boys played on Varsity Field for the first time this season. They took on North Shore Country Day and came out of the locker room strong. De Filippis scored for the 3rd game in a row and Lake Forest went up 1-0 at the half. The Scouts finally looked comfortable and cruised on to a 2-0 victory. Junior Oliver Akintade scored and senior Thomas Cutting was a standout player.

Through their early challenges, senior Charlie Anderson has remained optimistic about their season.

“We’re working hard and improving a lot, we just need to take that next step to start winning games consistently. We played really well tonight and need to keep that energy going.”

Tonight, the Scouts will face off against the Deerfield Warriors in their first away game.