The Unwritten Truths of LFHS: 10 Lessons for Underclassmen

The garbage can in the main senior hallway of LFHS. Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Porter, The Forest Scout

Elizabeth Porter

Underclassmen: stay out of the commons, towards the back of the student section, away from senior parking, and most importantly, steer clear of the senior trashcan. You won’t see these in any textbook, but someone probably warned you about these rules already– your sibling, neighbor or even your parents. Here are ten lessons that nobody told me, but that I quickly learned as an underclassmen at LFHS.

1. The only “weed” you’ll find on the bike path are remnants of those the Enviro kids pick during their mandatory community service.

2. The senior prank may never actually work out, but senior ditch day is on its way to becoming senior ditch week. 

3. Libertyville will wear preppy clothes to make fun of us, but bringing trash bags to the football game is unacceptable. Anyway, they’ll just end up lining a Dean’s garbage can.  

4. You will never fully understand how to be picked up/dropped off or how to sign in and out without being emphatically “corrected”.

5. Don’t jump out of your seat when Mr. Myles blows his airhorn, you’ll look like a freshman. Rather, enjoy the inspirational speech about the pursuit of excellence along with your Friday burrito bowl.

6. Your prom-posal will probably be more elaborate than your wedding proposal. 

7. Random numbers on the lockers and classrooms would be more useful than whatever twisted methodology is currently being used.

8. Study hall and the testing center relocate every semester, your only hope of finding them: follow Mrs. Nelson’s voice. 

9. Getting up to go to Egg Harbor on late start days is a great idea the first time, but halfway through the day you’ll realize those rainbow pancakes were not worth losing two hours of sleep. 

10. You may not care about Odysseus, Romeo and Juliet, or the Joad family. But everyone secretly cares deeply about the mental health of Holden Caulfield.  

High school isn’t about following other people’s rules, it’s about writing your own. These are the lessons I’ve learned so far, but I’m sure there’s more to add to this list. Please share your LFHS rules or tips in the comment section below.

Elizabeth Porter, Author

Elizabeth Porter is a senior at LFHS and is thrilled to be back writing for The Forest Scout this year. She is a proud Bluffer, Hamilton fanatic, quintessential...