Tommie Aberle Surpasses Impressive 1000th Point Milestone

Aberle achieves 100 career points against Wildcats
Colin Peters

In the highly anticipated rivalry matchup against the Libertyville Wildcats, senior Tommie Aberle hit an incredible milestone that many basketball players can only dream of. With a 20-point performance, Aberle surpassed 1000 career high school points in an incredible game against Lake Forest’s foes.

Aberle, captain of the Boys’ Varsity Basketball team, always gives the team a chance to win with his raw athleticism and leadership. His massive, record-breaking performance against Libertyville resulted in a 56-43 vital conference win. 

Aberle has been playing on the varsity team since he was a freshman, a challenge not many athletes can keep up with. However, Tommie proved to be a valuable asset to the roster, and today he stands as a respected leader among the team. 

“Tommie is a fierce competitor and plays for his team and not just himself. He finishes around the basket better than anyone. Tommie is a great player to coach and a fun person to be around on and off the court,” varsity head coach Phil LaScala said.

When Aberle scored his 1000th, the game was suddenly stopped to recognize his impressive milestone. Unaware of his achievement, Aberle shockingly celebrated with teammates and family.

“It was awkward at first, just standing there on the court but it is a moment I will never forget. I initially didn’t know I hit this milestone and after I scored they just stopped the game. It felt great to achieve such a milestone and beat Libertyville, especially after losing to them last year. I hate those guys,” Aberle said. 

Aberle’s achievement will forever be engraved in the history of Lake Forest Basketball, but he still strives to improve his skills and chase new goals so he can continue excelling at the high school level and potentially play at college.

He wishes to break the all-time assist record on top of his scoring goal. Despite his individual success and aspirations, his biggest goal is to win a sectional championship this year, as last year they ended as the sectional runner-up. 

Aberle understands the work that needs to be put in to meet such an anticipated goal and refuses to shy away from the grind.

“I play basketball every single day for at least an hour. My coaches and teammates push me to be the best and the idea of letting them down is what motivates me every day,” Aberle said.