The Heart-Wrenching Story of Ryan Hippel

Team+captains+walking+on+the+field+before+playing+Lakes+High+School%2C+Hippel+on+the+far+right.+
Joel Lerner
Team captains walking on the field before playing Lakes High School, Hippel on the far right.

Football Captain Ryan Hippel has been scammed out of the varsity football experience he has worked so hard to earn. 

In his sophomore year, Hippel was a star player on the JV football team and was expected to play a key role in the Scouts’ success for years to come. With a brutal injury resulting in surgery to end his junior season, Hippel was determined to show his real potential senior year, and everyone could see that during his practices in the summer leading into this season. 

On week 2 of the football season, however, Hippel was carted off the field after diving for a pass  and falling on his collarbone during practice. 

Hippel was an Iron Scout winner this off-season for football ,which is a reward given to those who worked the hardest and made the most improvements during the off-season for the football team. Hippel took the season-ending injury to heart last season, and he worked to prove his potential this season.

Marty wearing Ryan’s number on his wrist, scoring a touchdown.
(Joel Lerner)

Hippel has been on the sideline of every game since his injury and at every practice. He always spreads positivity and picks people’s heads up. Even though always demonstrating his support, his face watching the field shows feelings of entrapment in the arm-sling which represents his jail cell. With such a heart-breaking injury for Hippel, there is something inspirational about his ability to overcome setbacks.

“I’m always motivated to come back from whatever happens to me. I know that there are other people going through worse things. As for athletics I am excited to play basketball and lacrosse this year, and I hope that I am not done playing football,” said Hippel.

Ever since his injury, the football team has taken his injury to heart. Amongst many others, his brother, Marty Hippel, wrote Ryan’s number on his wrist as a tribute to him during the game. 

“We can’t forget about our teammates,” said fellow captain Torian James.“Ryan worked hard with the rest of us, and we can’t disregard him just because he wasn’t given the spotlight.”

$500
$800