How you feeling about prom on a boat?

Swarm of Cicadas Threatens Graduation

Preparations Underway for Unprecedented Double-Brood Invasion
Graphic by Chloe York

This year’s LFHS graduation is in jeopardy of a cicada invasion. Trillions of cicadas are expected to emerge from the ground during May and June. Illinois is said to be in the bull’s eye.

Dean Laura Clegg is very passionate about creating the best possible outcome for graduation. 

“They are 100% planning for the worst case scenario; however, they are taking precautions including adding a third tent,” Clegg said. “Our grounds crew is, as you know, the best in the business; they are prepared for the clean up and they take so much pride in our facility, specifically the front lawn. They will do everything in their power to keep the front lawn looking the best it possibly can.” 

Administrative assistant Melanie Walsh is working to create the best possible graduation for seniors this year. 

“If we can be outside we will. We are always prepared to move inside, and we know we need to be flexible and do everything we can,” Walsh said. “However, should people be bothered by the noise or any aspect of that, we will open the auditorium and have a live stream of the graduation.” 

Typically there are only two tents for graduation but the third one should be able to provide more people with protection from the bugs if they disturb graduation. 

“We have been planning for the ceremony since late January. We understand the cicada emergence may cause some disruption, and we are prepared to minimize this disruption,” Assistant Principal Patrick Sassen, a key member of the graduation planning committee, said. “We will be clearing sidewalks and other routes of cicadas should we need to. We will have more speakers in the stands to offset the noise from the cicadas.” 

According to an article published by NBC Chicago, “13-year cicadas and 17-year cicadas, known as Brood XIX and Brood XIII respectively will emerge at the same time in Illinois.”  

The unusual, synchronized emergence is set to bring “trillions” of cicadas to the state.

According to an article written by Emily DeLetter, a staff writer from USA Today, from mid-May until late June, trillions of cicadas will emerge from the ground in multiple states, centralized in Illinois and throughout the midwest. 

This invasion is part of a rare double-brood event that hasn’t happened in over 200 years. 

According to USA Today, the two broods start to emerge when the soil eight inches underground reaches 64 degrees.