Special Olympics: A positive space where all are welcome

A student coach with athletes ready to play Bocce ball.

Melissa Doucette

Grace Thomas, Staff Writer

Special Olympics integrates students from the special education program and students in the transition program at West Campus. There are 3 seasons: Bocce ball in the fall, Basketball in the winter, and Track and Field in the spring.

Practices, which are twice a week, always start with a get-to-know-you question, followed by a warm-up, various drills, and scrimmages. The student coaches work with the athletes to learn how to play the sport and to meet each individual’s needs. 

“There’s a lot of on-hand supervisors who are prepared to help people of all skills and levels and we learn to accommodate to all athlete’s needs,” senior Liliana Walsh said.

Special Olympics allows for both the athletes and coaches to have fun and learn new skills important for daily life.

“The athletes are able to play sports and learn healthy habits that they can bring back to day-to-day life. And they are able to build lifelong connections with buddies,” junior and student coach Scott Weston said. 

Many of the student coaches have gotten a lot out of being a part of Special Olympics.

“It’s a really good environment,” junior Caroline Kaiser said. “Everyone’s genuinely happy to be there and you just have fun.” 

Junior Sophia Zar has appreciated the opportunity to be a student coach in Special Olympics.

“It’s an opportunity to hang out and connect with students I might not have the opportunity to connect to otherwise, cause I don’t see them in classes or they’re in the transition program and they don’t go to our school regularly,” Zar said. 

For the Basketball season this winter, Special Olympics will have games on January 17th at East campus, and February 7th at Cove school. Fans will be appreciated, to cheer on the athletes and celebrate all their hard work.