Scouts Fall to Trevians in Rival Match

Carter Horan

NORTHFIELD, IL. In a rivalry that shines every fall, the Scouts Field Hockey (7-1-3) team fell to the the Trevians of New Trier in a shootout 5-4. Both schools are known as powerhouses of Illinois Field Hockey and either one of them has won the state championship every year since 2000. LF with 11 titles and New Trier adding 7. Beating them twice last year, the Scouts came into the game with a chip on their shoulder that they couldn’t hang onto. Either way, LF and NT are guaranteed to play each other at least once again. A home game for the Scouts on October 10th and most likely again on the path for a state title.

Both teams featured lineups stacked with athletes that plan on playing at the collegiate level: two commits for New Trier and four for the Scouts. They all took the field at 6:30 for not just a regular game, but a rivalry between two well-established programs. New Trier struck first with a goal by Junior Kate McLaughlin. Lake Forest fired back shortly with a goal by Julia Hender after being deflected around the net. Both teams were in their groove yet the Trevians converted one last time before halftime. This time, it was Francesca Caruso who fired a bullet into the net off of a corner. The Scouts trailed 2-1 entering halftime, determined to get back into the game.

The girls of LF had a tough start to the second half, getting great shots on goal but failing to reach the back of the net. With a mere seven minutes remaining, Coach Cat called a timeout to give the team a pep talk for the final few minutes. Soon after, the Scouts scored with two minutes left but the goal was waived off after being ruled as a “dangerous ball”. The Scouts didn’t give up and tied the game after a goal by Maggie Mick with a minute remaining. As the final horn sounded, the girls jogged back to their bench, hyped that they had tied it up, ready to get the W in Overtime.

With new Illinois field hockey rules, the ladies were set to play one 10:00 overtime period followed by a 5-man shootout if necessary. Both schools had multiple scoring opportunities during OT but couldn’t quite put one on the board. The time had come and it was time for a good ole’ hockey styled shootout. Both teams announced their 5-man shootout roster. The Scouts going with Mick, Hanekamp, Hender, McGowan, and Considine. They started slow with two close misses by Mick and Hanekamp. But the power of junior duo Julia Hender and Gracie McGowan came alive with each of them reaching the net. Goalie Elsa Goldsberry was able to save two big shots by the Trevians yet they still trailed 3-2. It all came down to Considine to tie the game. But, with her experience in the past, senior captain and 3-year starter Sarah Considine is exactly who the Scouts wanted in this situation.

She dribbled the ball downfield, made a quick double-crossover to her forehand, took one more dribble, and fired the ball to the right side. The ball flew in the air and struck the right post. In a hard fought match, the Scouts fell to New Trier 3-2 and took their first official loss of the season.

Come watch the Girls Field Hockey team tonight on Varsity Field as they look to bounce back against Oak Park at 5:00pm.

Carter Horan, Editor

Carter Horan is a senior at Lake Forest High School and an avid NBA fan who enjoys playing basketball, sleeping, and wearing khaki pants. You can find his writing in the In Between the Lines and In LFHS sections. Keep up with him on Twitter @Cxrterh for all his hot takes and new articles.