Busse, Soprych, Spagnoli team up to bring smoked meat to students during lunch periods

Shane Lynch

Every year three football coaches come together for a common interest other than the pigskin or P.E.– smoked meat. Mr. Spagnoli was put at a loss of words when I asked him about this hobby that he and his fellow coaches and Wellness teachers, Mr. Soprych and Mr. Busse, get to show off in front of the student body during all three lunch periods tomorrow, Wednesday, April 18th. He mentioned, “It’s an honor to do it!” From there, he alluded to the fact that Mr. Soprych is truly the work horse behind this whole operation.

Mr. Soprych deflected the praise elsewhere, “Mr. Maher is in charge of the whole deal.” And continued to talk about how this whole ordeal stemmed from an E-day celebration event years ago, and now E-day, which, Emotional wellness day, has been condensed down into various exercises.

The meat that will be included in tomorrow’s festivities are ten packet briskets, ten pork shoulders, and ten italian sausages. In Mr. Soprych’s words, the guys are going to, “smoke em low and slow.” There are also five smokers, handmade rubs, and the signature Busse Sauce that will all be added in to strengthen the event’s already time-honored prestige. In addition to the meat, there will also be roasted veggies brought to you by Dr. Holland.

All three coaches would like to give a huge thanks to Mrs. Zeeman because she is the one who outsourced the meats and got them donated so the guys can cook. “What a great opportunity that LFHS bestows upon us that we can share with the student body!” added Mr. Busse, one of the staples of the event. Be sure to stop by tomorrow during the three lunch periods. 

Shane Lynch, Author

Shane Lynch enjoys football and baseball, and plays for the Lake Forest High School Varsity teams in both sports. You will find his writings in The Forest...