Never doubt a Durbin: senior Caleb Durbin looks to become second in family to become IHSA State Champion

The dream all started when he was merely 11. Throughout his middle school career, LFHS senior Caleb Durbin watched his older brother Regis, an underdog IHSA State Champion in the 195 lb. weight class, dominate his opponents at the high school level. To cap of the 2013-14 season, the eldest Durbin took state, and has moved on to wrestle at the collegiate level for Northwestern University. When Caleb started his freshman year, he knew he wanted to follow in his role model’s footsteps.

Durbin performed at an elite level in his first three years, but couldn’t manage to get all the way to the sport’s high school epoch. In his final year not just as a Scout, but also as a wrestler (Durbin will be playing baseball at Washington University next season), Caleb Durbin set a goal that this year would the year he made it to Champaign. He took Regionals by storm–placing second–and moved onto sectionals in striking distance of his ultimate goal. Things almost turned downhill when Durbin lost in the second round of the tournament last weekend, but he regained his composure and placed 4th in the IHSA bracket, good enough for a ticket to the State Championships. For Caleb, his goal has been met, but the journey is far from over. There is still one more thing he is chasing: A state title.

Never doubt a Durbin: senior looks to become second in family to become IHSA State ChampionBefore the team bus departed for the State Farm Center Wednesday night, I caught up with Caleb to discuss his big weekend ahead.

Regis won state back in the 2013-14 season. How has helped motivate you and prepare you for this big moment in your wrestling career?

“He has definitely been a role model for me. Watching and practicing with him has been a huge benefit. We also had a conversation before State. The ultimate goal is to follow in his footsteps.”

How have you prepared this week for your upcoming matches in Champaign?

“Coach Fiordirosa has showed me some tape on Matt Ortiz, the first guy I am competing against. I am more aware now of his style of play and have made some minor adjustments in the way I prepare for this match. This week I am training with Quinn Dailey instead of Chase Waggoner. Quinn is incredibly strong for his weight and is a lot quicker. It helps me get used to the pace that some of these matches could be at.”

Based on the rankings you come in as a slight underdog. Has that notion phased you at all?

“It doesn’t phase me at all. Like I said, I have been watching his film. If anything, I am more confident coming into this match. I haven’t seen anything out of the ordinary in Ortiz that makes me think I’m at a disadvantage, but he is obviously big and strong and I take that into consideration.”

What is your go-to move?

“It depends on who I am wrestling. If I am able to get people’s ankles, then I will be able to take them down. That is called a low single.”

It has been said that the 160 lb. weight class is one of the toughest in wrestling. What makes it more difficult than the others?

“You have a lot of big strong guys at 170-180 that cut down to a lower weight at 160. I was thinking about dropping to 152, but eventually decided against it. I feel the most comfortable in the 160 class.”

This will be your final event not just as a Scout, but as a wrestler. Does that attribute to any added pressure?

I think if anything it gives me more motivation because it is my senior year. I am not really phased by the pressure. I just want to go out their and enjoy it.

Caleb Durbin is the first Scout to qualify for State since the 2015-16 season. Still, however, no Scout wrestler has won it all since Regis did four years ago. His first match will be against Matt Ortiz (40-6), a junior from Lombard. If Durbin is to get far enough, you can watch the live stream of the finals on trackwrestling.com. They will also provide live updates from every match.  His final time performing in competitive high school wrestling will be the biggest moment of his career. He has exceeded expectations, set high school records, and will leave a fantastic legacy for LFHS wrestling, but before Caleb Durbin can look back on his marvelous career, he has some unfinished business to take care of this weekend. On behalf of the Forest Scout, we wish Caleb Durbin luck at State this weekend.