Scouts hockey suffers loss to Crystal Lake South in high-scoring affair

After a lengthy break, the Lake Forest Scouts varsity hockey team returned to the ice well rested for their game against Crystal Lake South. The Gators came into the game boasting a (10-5-2) record and on a three-game win streak, while the Scouts looked to pick up their sixth win of the season. Almost immediately after puck drop, you could tell that the game would be high scoring. Crystal Lake scored early, but the Scouts had an answer. As the game progressed, the second period became a nightmare for Lake Forest on defense. They managed to score a couple goals in an effort to keep the game in reach, but their valiant effort fell just short, resulting in their seventh loss of the season.

Crystal Lake gained a goal advantage right out of the gates. Michael Tanzillo scored on an assist from Daniel Larue, but couldn’t escape with momentum as defender Carter Allen snuck one right by Gator goaltender Garrett Brayden. Just over four minutes later, Hunter Heitman got in on the action scoring on an assist from Jack Kaptrosky. Unfortunately for the Scouts, they failed to preserve their one goal lead for even a minute. Crystal Lake put one more in the back of the net before the first period ended, leaving both teams knotted at two with thirty minutes to play.

Despite Hunter Heitman’s second goal early in the period, the Gators really put the game out of reach. With 12:45 remaining in the period, Agustus Johnson tied things up again with an assisted goal from Dominic Tanzillo and Vincent Puccini. Later in the period, Crystal Lake took their first lead since the 11:58 mark in the first period on Midas Bacidore’s second goal of the game. Right when the period was about to end, matters got worse for the Scouts. Evan Jewson expanded the Gator lead to two, which would still be reachable for the Scouts in the third period, but in order to complete the comeback, their defense had to be next to perfect.

The Scouts had some glimmer of hope late in the third period when Trevor Allen scored on an assist from William Dee. At that point, the Scouts were down 5-4 with plenty of time left to score the equalizer. Unfortunately, some late costly penalties and a shaky defense prevented them from making a comeback. Less than two minutes after Allen’s goal, guess who, Midas Bacidore, scored again, completing the hat trick and giving the Gators a two goal lead. To cap off the game, Michael Tanzillo scored an empty netter, tallying Crystal Lake South’s total to seven goals. The Scouts proved in the first period that they could win this game, but fell short in the final two periods due to a series of mistakes and poor defense.

When the final horn sounded, the Lake Forest Scouts had committed seven penalties, two of which the Gators scored on. Defense continues to be an issue as well as the Scouts again giving up more than five goals. The end to the season is approaching and Lake Forest needs to play their best hockey in order to stir up the IHSHL North Central Conference. The Scouts will be on the road at Fox Valley Thursday night, then will return to Lake Forest College for the MLK Scout tournament. Come support your Lake Forest Scouts varsity hockey team this weekend as the look to turn their season around.