What's your ideal spring break spot?

Girls Basketball home opener set for tonight

LAKE FOREST, Ill.–Tonight at 7:00 pm, the competition gym will get its first taste of girls varsity basketball in the 2017-18 season when the Scouts host the Mundelein Mustangs, an NSC opponent who comes in with a record of (1-4).

The Scouts, who went (3-2) in their season-opening Thanksgiving tournament at Vernon Hills, defeated the likes of Vernon Hills, Antioch, and Elk Grove–all handedly–while suffering losses to Lake Forest Academy and Sycamore. Lake Forest is currently outscoring opponents by a margin of 253-176 and averaging 50.6 points per contest. Their 15.4 turnovers per game could certainly be improved, along with their 3-point field goal percentage clip of 21%. Mundelein, however, presents a formidable opportunity for the Scouts to do just that. The Mustangs have suffered early season defeats at the hands of Highland Park, Carmel, Grant, and most recently Glenbrook South. Greg Dorgan, who is in his first year as Mundelein’s head coach, did manage to earn a win over the Grayslake North Knight’s in Mundelein’s Thanksgiving tournament. The team’s leading scorer, Morgan Frank (12.8 PPG, 8.8 RPG), is just a sophomore, but she still managed to attempt a season-high 27 field goal attempts in her team’s loss to Carmel earlier this season. Though Mundelein is averaging a woeful 23.0 turnovers per game, their shooting prowess needs to be maintained for the Scouts to come out on top in their home opener at East Campus.

Sophomore Halle Douglass leads the Scouts in scoring (9.8 PPG), rebounding (5.4 RPG), assists (5.2 APG), and steals (4.2 SPG). Aside from Douglass, Coach Wilhelm’s bunch has received great early season production from freshman Lily Trkla (7.6 PPG) and junior Grace Tirzmalis (5.6 PPG, 5.2 RPG), while Jen Whittington (6.8 PPG) and another freshman, Finola Summerville (5.8 PPG, 4.0 RPG), have also filled in the void left by injured senior Maeve Summverville.