Looking Ahead: 2017-2018 Student Body President Trisha Bhagat

Photo courtesy of Brett Chody

For those of you who check your email regularly (however few that may be), you might have seen the voting form that went around a few weeks ago for next year’s Student Council. However you ended up voting–be it for your best friend, for that kid in your geometry class whose name you kinda recognized, or for the person with the best video–the results are in: next year’s Student Council will be led by rising senior Trisha Bhagat, the president-elect of the student body. The AP scholar, varsity badminton member, and indefatigable optimist looks forward to her fourth and final year on the cabinet next year with her trademark confidence and zeal. She plans on drawing from her past experience on the executive board to make next year the best one yet, as she’s been an active member of Student Council since freshman year, serving as Vice President her sophomore year and Junior Class President this year.  

For those wondering what exactly this particular title merits, the role of Student Council at this school should be understood first.

In her words, Trisha described StuCo as “a place where each student has the opportunity to become a leader. We work together to represent our student body as a whole and help facilitate the change we want to see.”

This ideology translates into projects such as planning school dances (you have them to thank for #thathocotho in the fall and the famous froyo at Turnabout), spirit weeks, and food drives. In addition, each class has their own projects that they focus on throughout the year. A few years back, for example, Trisha’s freshman StuCo spearheaded the “Just Check It” movement to get the infamously apathetic high school population to check their emails more.

As Vice President her sophomore year, she worked with the rest of the StuCo members to plan the festive cookout prior to the homecoming football game, among other projects. This past year, while serving as President of the junior class, she oversaw the planning and successful execution of Prom 2017. On top of all that comes with putting together a dance for over 700 students, this year’s junior student council also implemented landmark changes to LFHS’s prom, namely the location switch to the Hyatt Regency and the adoption of “Prom Royalty” instead of the traditional King and Queen, done in the name of inclusivity and acceptance.

Along the same lines, Trisha added, “Every member on exec always puts forth effort to better represent not only the student body, but also those on the StuCo cabinets as well; it what makes us all stand out. We do things behind the scenes, the small extra things people don’t generally notice; we go the extra mile to help out even when not recognized.”

Looking ahead to her senior year, Trisha described her role as Student Body President as someone who acts as the go-between for students, staff, and community members alike. She added, “Both myself and Drew [Vice President] will attend every board meeting, sharing all the news and events from LFHS while also giving student opinion and being able to sit in on certain discussions. This year as overall president I hope to make a more clear path between those inside and outside of StuCo.” Above everything else, Trisha hopes to utilize this newfound platform as a means to bring about positive, meaningful change, and to continue to make LFHS the best it can be.