Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Eat This Instead of That

Graphic made by Mary Carter.

In a society full of “healthier options” and trendy foods, the decisions can be overwhelming as you stroll through the grocery aisle. As someone who loves to seek out foods that make me feel good, I feel confident in a list of my top five favorite “healthier options” that make me feel good as well as give me proper fuel.Ensuring that you get the right amount of nutrition daily can seem impossible – so I am here to help implement better eating habits that are easily accessible!

Poppi

Photo from Poppi Instagram.

These new sodas are the hot new topic for our young and old generations! With so much natural flavoring while holding way less sugar and calories, Poppi is a gut boosting drink combining fruit juice, apple cider vinegar, and inulin prebiotics. These refreshing treats have a wide variety of flavors, with the most popular being Strawberry Lemon (my personal favorite), Ginger Lime, and Cherry Lime. Poppi can be found in almost every grocery store near Lake Forest and is slowly becoming a popular grocery option around the country. These healthier sodas are a better alternative to regular sodas because they are higher in fiber and much lower in calories. I definitely recommend these for anyone looking for a refreshing drink.

From The Ground Up Pretzels 

Photo from “From the Ground Up” Instagram.

Although a “healthier” pretzel seems pretty boring, and some may think that finding a healthier alternative is pointless, these pretzels are not only delicious, but they use completely clean ingredients to give you the yummiest guilt-free snack. They are gluten free, vegan, Kosher-certified, and non-GMO product certified. It can be hard to realize how unhealthy  your everyday snacks can be. It is important to note that if you are trying to live a healthier lifestyle, normal pretzels should not be your go-to snack. I love From The Ground Up pretzels because the crunch is amazing, they are just the right amount of saltiness, and despite what you may expect, they are filled with so much flavor. These are definitely a staple in my house when it comes to snacks. 

Halo Top Ice Cream 

Photo from Halo Top Instagram.

With a whopping forty-six flavors to choose from, Halo Top is a great option for everybody! What is interesting about this ice cream is that it uses way less sugar than your average ice cream while also supplying hunger-satisfying protein. Compared to other brands like Ben and Jerry’s and Häagen-Dazs, Halo Top contains significantly fewer calories and uses natural sugar and less cream overall. My favorite flavor is Chocolate Chip Cookie which completely hits the spot regarding flavor and keeps making its way back into my freezer! I recommend this brand to anyone on the hunt for an ice cream that doesn’t make you feel so guilty. Halo Top is undoubtedly an amazing choice because other ice creams contain ingredients that Halo Top doesn’t. Your typical ice cream will be high in sugar and calories, low in nutrients, and contain artificial ingredients which are not the healthiest for you.  If you try Halo Top ice cream, you will not regret it! 

Justin’s Peanut Butter 

Photo from Justins Peanut Butter Instagram.

While oftentimes being referred to as “the best healthy peanut butter on the market,” Justin’s peanut butter satisfies your PB craving and only uses two ingredients! This delicious choice has no added sugar or salt, and still contains protein, specifically seven grams per every two tablespoons. This peanut butter is a great option because the most popular peanut butters contain 190 calories, 8 grams of total carbohydrates and 3 grams of sugar in a 2-tablespoon serving. On top of that, the most popular brands use hydrogenated oil made from GMO crops – Which is not the healthiest. My favorite ways to eat Justin’s peanut butter with apple and banana slices, in a smoothie, and in a sandwich. The switch to this peanut butter is so easy and will not disappoint you!

Good Crisp Company Potato Chips

Photo from Good Crisp Company Instagram.

While some may even consider these to be tastier than Pringles, Good Crisp chips are a great healthier alternative! These chips are gluten-free and non-GMO which is way better than your typical Pringle. Good Crisp Chips have that amazing crunch and do not leave you feeling bloated and gross. People seem to dismiss that Pringles are high in calories, fat, sodium, and carbs, but the Good Crisp chips ensure way less damage than Pringles. I love the sour cream and onion flavor as well as the sea salt and vinegar flavor, and I am excited to try more! These chips should definitely find their way into your pantry and you will not be let down when you try them!