Who is winning the Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake beef?

Cheer Kicks Off Competition Season After Second-Overall Finish at Stevenson

Photo courtesy of Mckenzy Hoopis.

The Cheer team had their first competition of the season last Sunday at Stevenson High School. Lake Forest competed in the 2A division and placed second overall. 

There were five teams in Lake Forest’s division, with many other divisions competing as well. 

According to the team, there were significant nerves before this competition.“As a team going into it everyone was pretty nervous,” said Captain Brooke Kaiser. “Obviously since it was our first competition, we couldn’t have our hopes up too high but I feel like we have been working really hard during practice so it was like a mixture of excitement and nervousness.”

Captain Amelia Kavanagh felt similar.  

“I was really nervous after warm-ups but once I was on the mat and the music started, all my nerves sort of just went away,” said Kavanagh.

In addition to the nerves, there were a couple obstacles that the team faced, for example a last minute injury and scheduling issues. However, their teamwork and determination allowed them to overcome the struggles. 

“Despite having a teammate out injured and making changes the week of the competition, every athlete on the mat came ready to do their job and trusted that their teammates would do the same,” said Varsity Coach Debbie Vargas.

The injury was not the only challenge they faced that day. The team was scheduled to  perform at 12:30 but the performance got pushed back an hour, increasing nerves in anticipation of the performance. They were also one of the last teams to perform, so once it was their turn, all eyes were on them.

“[The scheduling error] just enhanced the anticipation and nerves,” said Captain Mckenzy Hoopis. “Because we really want to set a good example and show the other teams that Lake Forest is going to be good this year.”

Despite all these obstacles, the team went out and performed their best and still managed to place second overall.

The team after awards were announced. Photo courtesy of Debbie Vargas.

“We didn’t obviously do the best we could have done because it was the first competition of the season but everyone was very happy with the results,” said Hoopis. 

This is only the beginning for the team, and they still have high hopes for the season ahead. 

“There’s definitely a lot we can improve on as a team,” said Kavanagh. “I think we really need to rely more on the techniques that we know we have.”

In the end, though, the team has their sights set on the bigger picture and hopes to do even better than last year.

“Obviously our main goal is to make it to state again this year and then go on to day two,” said Kaiser. “This competition was a good starting point for us to keep improving and bettering our routine.”

Since this team has no seniors, the juniors had to step up into leadership positions. 

“This team is our most talented yet and we will be putting the most difficult skills on the mat that LF Cheer has ever competed,” said Vargas. 

The ambition of this team and how close they are is what will get them to achieve this high goal – the State competition – that they are reaching for.

“If any team can do it – it will be this one,” said Vargas.