Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Ranking the Best Garlic Bread in Lake Forest

Graphic courtesy of Evan Haussermann.

Garlic bread is simply one of the most incredible foods ever created. Originating in Italy, garlic bread has been adopted by Americans to a much different form than the “traditional” Italian garlic bread. The typical American garlic bread uses just three main components, the  simplicity being what  makes it so delicious and amazing. 

The first ingredient of this wonderful culinary item is the bread, of course. Various types of breads can be used, all of them having their own strengths.  I have  seen delicious results out of ciabatta bread, sourdough bread, and even pizza dough. However, the classic American staple is a baguette. The baguette gets nice and crispy on the outside while the inside remains fluffy while absorbing all the amazing garlic flavors. 

The second ingredient of this wonderful dish is the fat, often in the form of butter. This is simply crucial to a good garlic bread! A good garlic bread has a garlic flavor that is strong, but not too overpowering. The fat is responsible for absorbing the garlic flavors and transferring them into the bread. . Butter is a great choice of fat as it is easy to spread and has a great flavor. However, olive oil – when done right – can add a richer, more complex flavor to the dish. 

The third and most important ingredient in this dish  is the garlic. This is the name sake ingredient, so if one  chooses the wrong one,  the dish will be ruined.. The main form of garlic one will encounter is garlic powder. This is a great choice as it is cheap and located in almost every spice cabinet. The second form one will see often is minced garlic. This has a much stronger garlic flavor than the powder, however, it requires a refrigerator and is more pricey.  The last and most authentic form of garlic is fresh garlic. Fresh garlic  is very strong and can get to the  point where it makes the bread  almost spicy and not very delicious (spice should be from pepper rather than the garlic). Garlic powder is the most common choice, even in restaurants, due to its classic flavor.

Common toppings for garlic bread  include parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and fresh tomatoes. While these can be amazing additions, they can sometimes distract from the garlic flavor. When the option is available, I ask for them to be removed.

There are five locations in Lake Forest that serve garlic bread. Recently, I visited each place and ranked their bread based on flavor and quality alone. I called all the orders in and retrieved them as soon as they were ready.

5. Rosati’s

Price: $8.29

Rosati’s garlic bread typically comes with cheese on top, so for ease of fairness I ordered it without the cheese to get the best taste of the bread itself. The first thing I noticed upon retrieving the parcel was how expensive it was for the amount I received – yet I understand this price as Rosati’s just recently opened. I wanted to give them a fair shot for the title of Best Garlic Bread in Lake Forest, regardless of cost. The best part about this garlic bread was how warm it was. It was fresh out of the oven – which can be hard for some restaurants to achieve. The garlic flavor was achieved using a classic butter and garlic powder, with some good quality bread. Despite the warmness of the bread, the sauce was cold, and as a result worsened the dish. Another downside to this bread was the cooking method: the bread was overcooked and far too crispy. It wasn’t burned, per se, but there was no softener to the bread, making it taste like a large crouton. This dish could be improved if the bread was baked for two or three minutes less in the oven, and the addition of a warm sauce would be nice so those who choose to eat it aren’t greeted by a cold jolt to their meal.

If you decide to go to Rosati’s for a garlic fix, I wouldn’t recommend the garlic bread over the cheesy garlic bread sticks. These are simply incredible. It is essentially a pizza that substitutes the middle marinara for a garlic butter that results in a perfectly cooked and cheesy twist on the traditional garlic bread.

4. Francesca’s

Price: $12.95

When I originally called Francasesas, I was pleasantly surprised to hear they did have garlic bread despite it not being on the menu. I ordered it and picked it up right as it was being boxed. The first thing I noticed was the quality of the establishment. It was very upscale, representing the price tag. However I was definitely under dressed as I walked past the valet and entered to see all the patrons in dress clothes while I was wearing pajama pants and an oil-stained Bucees hoodie. Despite this, I was treated fantastically and walked out with the loot. As soon as I took the first bite, I realized how good garlic bread truly is. It was soft and delicious. It wasn’t the greatest for the the price but it gets knocked on this list mainly due to the fact that it isn’t on the menu and it is simply not as good as the other restaurants near by. The bread was well cooked, however, it wasn’t the best bread to start with and the garlic layers simply did not penetrate the bread enough. Therefore, not every bite was filled with that amazing garlic flavor. This dish could be vastly improved by a higher quality bread – as it did have all the amazing flavors. 

Another amazing alternative is their bruschette which I ordered as well and it was surprisingly traditional and very delicious. I would definitely recommend this over the garlic bread.

3. Donati’s

Price: $6.95

Donati’s has greatly expanded in the past few years to multiple locations and now has a partner location with a full sports bar: Duffers Pub. When I called to place my order – cheesy garlic bread without cheese – they told me it was going to be a 45 minute wait. I wasn’t too worried as it was a Sunday, so I assumed they were just busy. However, when I arrived, it was empty, so I just assumed they were severely understaffed which is increasingly becoming a struggle among recent restaurants. I paid and received my treasure.

Once I opened it, I was surprised, as it closely resembled my family’s garlic bread. Upon first glance, it looked like a store-bought baguette with butter and garlic powder. I took a bite and was very surprised – it tasted just like a garlic bread my mother would make, with a few small exceptions. Similar to Francescas, there was a problem with the bread. A good bread has a nice crust and soft interior. While this bread had the right interior, it did not have the crust at all. The crust would just flake off either in my mouth or all over my lap and turn into dust. This was disappointing. Half of a good bread is the crust. However, the butter was very good! It softened the inside of the bread and gave the top a slight toast with all the buttery goodness. It could have been even better with the addition of more garlic powder.  Once again, garlic powder is more than okay, and can be used to make a wonderful bread if the cook uses a solid amount.

If you want your garlic fix, I would not recommend the cheesy garlic bread. However, the “crazy bread” is amazing. It is similar in concept to Rosati’s cheesy breadstick but the crust is a Detroit style pizza dough. Incredible is the only word to describe it. There is a much higher garlic flavor than the bread and Detroit style pizza adds an interesting twist to an already different dish. This dish is not for those who are watching weight, as the amount of cheese, butter, and oil will put the faint of heart into cardiac arrest. However, I still recommend the crazy bread over the garlic bread if you find yourself at Donatis.

2. Lou Malnati’s

Price: $7.09

This was one of the first breads that I reviewed, and all that I’ll say is that it set the expectations very high. Lou Malnatis truly understands good garlic bread. They were the only joint that had an option on the menu without cheese. They had it ready in under 20 minutes – a convenience factor for anyone looking for a quick snack. Despite freezing temperatures outside, I was happy the bread warmed my body and soul from the inside. The bread was also amazing quality and was made to order on a busy day which is always a nice surprise. The bread was amazing even without the sauce. It had a fantastic butter to bread ratio with a strong garlic flavor. I’m guessing they used a garlic powder, however it must have been a high-quality powder as it had an amazing flavor that wasn’t overpowering. This dish also left me with a good garlic breath which is crucial to a good bread. In order of fairness among competitors, I tried the sauce as well. And when I say wow, I mean wow. It was piping hot and had a good tomato flavor as well as other herbs. I ate the first piece without sauce however for the rest of the dish I had the sauce, as it was truly that good. Overall, there is no better dish that Lou’s serves topping this holy garlic bread.

1. Ferentino’s

Price: $6.99

Ferentino’s, hands down, has the best carbs of any pizza place in town. The pasta is always amazing and the bread is even better. An important note is the fact that i ordered it at 10:40am which is before they even opened. I went to pick it up at 10:55, fully expecting to wait outside for them to open then wait further for my food. However, I was greeted at the door with it being unlocked for me and walked up to the register to see my loot sitting on the counter. I paid for it, got a drink, and walked out happy as can be. I knew this was going to be a great experience considering Ferentino’s dedication to quality.  I opened the plastic container with sauce in the center and the delicious garlic smell hit my nose. I took a piece and broke it in half for the first bite. This was the process I followed as I consumed all the pieces, ensuring that the first bite I got was from the center of the piece (this helps gauge how fluffy the bread has remained). Once I had this bite, I was amazed that the top and bottom were crispy –  but not crunchy – and the inside was fluffy. Not only did they use butter, but they also used a little bit of olive oil, too. The flavors maintained the simpleness that makes garlic bread so delicious and added slight complexity for those who choose to search for it.

I also tried the bread with the sauce and I’m happy to report it was just as good. The sauce was warm and complex and I was very happy with this meal. Although the garlic bread is top tier for those who are looking for a different dish, the focaccia is amazing. Not only can you order it on its own but every pasta dish and salad comes with a warm slice of their garlic crusted focaccia.