Holiday Happenings

With the official holiday season upon us, there are dozens of activities taking place in our neighborhood. So grab some friends or family and enjoy the season attending them:
Chicago+Botanic+Gardens+features+Lightscapes+Nov.+10+-+Jan.+7+
Sydney Kirages
Chicago Botanic Gardens features Lightscapes Nov. 10 – Jan. 7
  • Chicago Botanic Garden Lightscapes
    • Nov. 10 – Jan. 7, evenings, tickets $19-$75, Chicago Botanic Garden
    • Returning for the 5th year, Lightscapes transforms the Botanic Gardens into a festive holiday walk among the lights and music. Food is also available to purchase.
  • Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital Holiday Boutique
    • Nov. 16-18, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., tickets $5-$10, Lake Forest Recreation Department
    • Get your holiday shopping done at this event that features unique artisans and support a great cause. All proceeds benefit the Women’s Board of Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital.
  • Thanksgiving Mother Daughter Tea at Gorton
    • Nov. 18, 3 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., tickets $45, Gorton Center
    • Enjoy a special time with your mother or grandmother as you sip and learn about tea and its place in the world. Enjoy delicious treats from around the world to South Africa, Australasia, Great Britain, and parts of Europe. 
  • Lake Forest Lake Bluff Running Club Turkey Trot
    • Nov. 23, 8 a.m., free, West Lake Forest Train Station
    • Join the Lake Forest Lake Bluff Running Club for its annual Thanksgiving Day Run – 5k and 10k fun run and walk. A great way to prepare for the Thanksgiving meal. The event is free, but money will be collected for the Northern Illinois Food Pantry.
  •  ‘Think Local’ Pop-Up Shop – Season Opening
    • Nov. 24 – Dec. 30, 11 a.m., 653 N Bank Ln, Lake Forest, IL, 60045
    • Once again the City of Lake Forest and the Lake Forest/Lake Bluff Chamber of Commerce will open the ‘Think Local Pop-Up Shop’ selling merchandise to benefit local nonprofit entities in Lake Forest & Lake Bluff. At a new location just off the Square at 653 Bank Lane. The Pop-Up Shop will be open for shopping Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. throughout the holiday season.
  • City of Lake Forest Tree Lighting
    • Nov. 24, 3 p.m. – 6 p.m., free, Market Square
    • The 39th annual Lake Forest holiday tree-lighting celebration is once again an extended event. With loads of activities, and performances by the Lake Forest Civic Orchestra, the LFHS Festival Brass Ensemble, the LFHS Choir, the Lake Forest Dance Academy, and Santa, the afternoon will be perfect to bring in the holiday spirit. 
  • Lake Forest Cocoa Crawl
    • Nov. 25, 12 p.m., free, Market Square
    • Fostering and encouraging “Shop Local” on Small Business Saturday, Lake Forest will host a Holly Trolley and hot cocoa as the stores of Market Square are open for shopping.
  • Holiday Book Bazaar at Lake Forest Library
    • Nov. 27-Dec 23, Lake Forest Library
    • Browse an assortment of holiday books available to get you in the spirit of the season and to give as gifts. Prices are marked at the top of the first white page of each book. Payment is cash on the honor system. All purchases support the Friends of the LF Library.
  • The Canadian Pacific Holiday Train
    • Dec. 3, 5:10 p.m., free, Viking Middle School, 4460 Old Grand Ave, Gurnee
    • The 2023 CP Holiday Train tours Canada and the United States raising money, food, and awareness for local food banks. As the brightly lit train pulls into the station, a boxcar converts into a stage, and professional musicians treat the crowd to an amazing concert. The Holiday Train makes a donation to the local food pantry and encourages attendees to also donate.

Canadian Pacific Holiday Train Steams into Gurnee on Dec. 3 (Sydney Kirages)
  • It’s a Wonderful Life in Lake Bluff
    • Dec. 3, 5 p.m., downtown Lake Bluff
    • A festive and holiday-inspired day including a horse-drawn carriage ride, a holiday market, and treats around town. Gather as a community when the famous Lake Bluff ‘light orbs’ are illuminated for the first time of the season.
  • Woodlands Academy Christmas Concert
    • Dec. 6, 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m., free, Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart 
    • Enjoy an evening of holiday music as Woodlands Academy presents its annual Christmas Concert. The concert features candlelight, holiday favorites, sing-alongs, and more. 
  • Stirling Hall Holiday Art Sale
    • Dec. 8, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.; Dec. 9, 10 p.m. – 4 p.m., 100 E Old Mill Rd
    • Purchase hand-crafted gifts from local artisans. A portion of all sales helps support the Art Center. 
  • Gingerbread House Decorating for Familes and Adults at Gorton
    • Dec. 10; Families 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.; Adults 3:30 p.m.-5 p.m.; $55; Gorton Center
    • Gather with friends or family and decorate your very own gingerbread house! Gorton provides: the structured gingerbread house, frosting, and various candies for decorating, Christmas music, and sparkling water.
  • LFHS Band Orchestra and Chorus Holiday Concert and Spaghetti Dinner
    • Dec. 10, 3 p.m. Band and Orchestra; 4:45 p.m. dinner; 7 p.m. Choir; $12-$20, LFHS 
    • The annual spaghetti dinner is a fundraiser and holiday concert for the LFHS Band, Orchestra, and Choir. Be dazzled by small ensembles during dinner and amazed by the musical talent of LFHS.

Holiday Strings will perform again at the Annual Spaghetti Dinner (Sydney Kirages)
  • Reindeer at Sunset Foods Lake Forest
    • Dec. 16, free, time TBD, Lake Forest Sunset
    • Come see reindeer welcoming shoppers to Sunset Foods.

Come see real reindeer at Sunset Foods on Dec. 16 (Sydney Kirages)