Lake Forest Gymnastics Leaps Into Yet Another Season

LFHS JV and varsity team. (Courtesy of Reagan Fisch)

LFHS gymnasts are excited to soar through the air and stick the landing with gymnastics tryouts just around the corner. The Varsity and Junior Varsity Teams express their expectations and hopes for the upcoming season. 

“This year, we are getting two or three new level nine  freshmen, so I have really high hopes for this season. With the off-season training the team has been putting in, I hope we can break a 135-team score,” said senior Varsity captain Franca Stohlgern. “I feel like we will be able to beat more conference teams than last year, such as Libertyville, Mundelein, and Lake Zurich.” 

LFHS Varsity Head Coach Brittany Moccia is looking forward to the opportunity to coach a fresh, talented team. 

“I am looking forward to another season of gymnastics with veteran gymnasts returning and the new ones joining us. I am excited to get the season started and ready to have fun learning new skills and watching talent grow with all our gymnasts,” said Moccia. 

Alum Reagan Fisch recently retired her grips as she took off to SMU this fall. Stellar accomplishments on the varsity team, such as making it on the top scoreboard in the field house, making it to state for beam her junior year, and becoming the team captain, have made her a staple of the LFHS gymnastics team. 

“I will miss the team so much and know there are amazing things ahead of them. The memories and friendships I made throughout my gymnastics years will definitely stay with me. I hope LFHS gymnastics continues to be a supportive and connected environment,” said Fisch. 

LFHS Varsity Gymnastics at a meet. (Courtesy of Reagan Fisch) 

Junior Ava Starks could not be put on the meet roaster last season due to her foot injury. Fortunately, this year, she is back better than ever and shares how she feels about stepping onto the floor once again. 

“I’ve finally fully recovered from my injury and all my mental blocks that came from it, so I’m super excited to compete with my teammates again,” said Starks. “I’m also hyped for this season because I feel like our team has a lot of potential this year to advance.” 

With the recent retirement of JV Coach Chana Wilczynski, JV Coach retires the team, with just days away from the season, is still unsure who the coach will be. 

“I am very sad about not currently having a JV coach because Chana was a big part of our team and helped us with everything. She always had a great attitude which we will miss this season. I hope we will find a coach that can continue to impact our team,” said junior JV athlete Abby Bruskin.

Wilczynski herself is concerned about the no-coach situation but has complete faith in her past athletes to put forth the work ethic and communication skills needed to keep things running smoothly. 

“If the season continues with no JV coach, the team will be challenged with developing their leadership skills. It will be an adjustment, but I know the JV team will thrive. As long as each gymnast can start practice focused and with a goal, I know they will be unstoppable!” said Wilczynski.  

Coach Chana supporting athletes at a meet. (Courtesy of Danielle Moore)

JV athletes can sense that this season will already differ from others due to the nerve-racking possibility of what will happen coach-wise without Wilczynski present. However, this doesn’t stop them from setting goals for themselves and getting pumped for the season, no matter the circumstance JV is currently in. 

“I am super excited for this season and am going to push myself to get my cast handstand on bars and a front punch pike on the floor,” said Bruskin.  

Athletes express that they are ready to take on yet another year on the team and have missed their time away from the gym. 

“I feel prepared for this season and am ready for my second year on the team. Gymnastics is super fun at the high school, and I am excited to start practicing again and getting back into the routine,” said junior JV athlete Maggie Gilleran.