Senior Henry Laufenberg Leaves the Football Field to Take On the Stage

Henry Laufenberg performing in One Act Play, Kev Burger (Courtesy of Henry Laufenberg)

At the age of six, Henry Laufenberg stepped onto the stage and fell in love with the lights and the laughter found performing in the theater. 

From that very first appearance, where he had no lines, Laufenberg sought opportunities to perform and was a regular on stage in both elementary and middle school theater. 

Arriving at LFHS even before his freshman year began, he found an opportunity for acting in the Senior Directed One Act Plays. After auditioning (remotely), he was cast in Good Morning, Duluth, which was directed by seniors Cole Joseph and Pierce Docherty. Laufenberg thought it was a “super fun time” and he “highly recommends it.”

However, Laufenberg had another passion as well. 

He was an offensive lineman for the freshman football team. Juggling the two roles was difficult, and he felt he was possibly letting the team down as he left for theater practice, but he found good friends on the team. As a lineman, he felt useful as he “loved to protect” his teammates on the field.

Courtesy of Henry Laufenberg, #57

“I’m not going to lie, it was super hard to balance both,” said Laufenberg. 

Nevertheless, the football coaches “were very accepting. I couldn’t have asked for more cooperation from them.” 

Needless to say, they did not stop Laufenberg from following his passions both on and off the field.

Laufenberg played football for the past three years. He appreciated that other people relied on him and he enjoyed the team camaraderie. 

However, the acting bug that has been with Laufenberg would not lay dormant any longer. At the end of last season, Laufenberg decided to listen to the call of the theater and he made the difficult decision to quit football and to fully dedicate himself to theater. Laughing easily, as he tends to do, he said, “Well, I don’t regret it so far.”

When Laufenberg gave up full time football, it opened his schedule to new theater opportunities. Starting with Senior Directed One Acts, he was now free to direct a play. 

Joining forces with senior Georgia Sottosanto-Sorenson, he directed Midnight Infomercials, a “silly but short skit” about what happens when you fall asleep and infomercials are on. 

Beyond directing, Laufenberg also had a major role in a second One Act play, Kev Burger, directed by seniors Ryder Gamrath and Ana Dollard, where he played the title character, who also happened to be a cannibal. 

The role drew heavily on Laufenberg’s impeccable comedic timing and skill at physical comedy. His lively facial expressions and willingness to embrace the character fully had the audience on the floor laughing. 

Courtesy of Henry Laufenberg

He also had a minor role in This is A Test, directed by seniors Sydney Kirages and Milana Yanev, where he captured the audience’s attention as he demonstrated (without lines) that cheating on a test is easier when you literally share a desk with Ryder Gamrath.

“He always knows what to say to lighten the work process. I highly enjoy working with him and he will always be one of the actors I admire,” said Yanev.

Throwing himself into the Senior Directed One Acts, through directing and acting, was a crazy and exhilarating time.

“I was the idiot in charge. It was a mess, but it was a fun mess.” 

Much like juggling football and theater, juggling all the different shows was exhausting and meant that he could not attend all rehearsals, but he tried to show up to as many as possible.

“At times I was super tired, but it was a blast.” 

In sacrificing football, Laufenberg was also now available to audition for the Fall Play. 

While he was nervous going in, he was cast as Father and Ensemble in the Fall production of A Wrinkle in Time. 

“I am excited to get to know the people in the theater. All of them seem really chill. And, I am excited to see what happens next.” 

Laufenberg appreciates being connected to a particular group and building something together.

The show will take place on Oct. 12-14.

Laufenberg’s good nature, and easy laugh make him fun to be around. And following his passion, and being true to himself, has also raised his visibility in the school – he was recently named to Homecoming Court. He says he focuses on the positives and he gives “everyone a fair shot at making him laugh and smile.” 

His story encourages us all to follow our passions, be willing to try something new, and to sometimes make hard choices. 

$500
$800