Scouts fall to Lake Zurich in fourth consecutive NSC defeat

The Lake Forest boys basketball team played a close game for most of the way Friday night, only to be outscored in the 4th quarter and lose by ten. Stop me if you’ve heard this before.

The Scouts seemed to be overmatched on paper; Zurich came into the game averaging almost ten more points per game as well as holding a record that was five games better than that of Lake Forest. But the Scouts played a tight game through three quarters, and many fans thought the home team would come away with the win. But they entered the fourth quarter needing to erase a five-point deficit, and only got outscored by five, leading to the ten point Lake Zurich win.

Give credit to Lake Zurich, they were undersized against the tall LF frontcourt. But still managed to shoot 48% from 2-point range. They managed to make the same amount of three pointers as Lake Forest while shooting four less, contributing to their excellent 47% shooting from the field. The favorites didn’t let the home crowd or the tight game get to them, as they outscored Lake Forest by 11 in the second half and never let the Scouts get a lot of momentum.

There’s not a whole lot to say on the part of Lake Forest. This game was awfully similar to a lot of their other losses. They played up to their competition, but were still unable to seal the deal and get the upset. They were powered by forward Ben Gibson, the only Scout to score in double figures with his 17 points. Coach LaScala’s team was out-rebounded, committed more turnovers, and shot a worse percentage from the free throw line. Your typical indicators or a win or a loss did not go in favor of Lake Forest.

For the Scouts to get back on track Friday at Zion Benton, they’ll need to play a complete, four quarter game against the evenly matched Zee-Bees, something easier said than done.