Be a Better You in 2018

Be a Better You in 2018

Emma Riley

“New Year, New Me” a quote we all know a little too well from copious Instagram captions and people trying new things in the days following New Year’s Eve. Yet, it has begun to seem as though each New Year there really is nothing new. Everyone wants to be healthier or work out more, but by the end of the third day of the new year, we are back to our old habits. Still, we may just actually have a chance for this year to be different.

According to Marist Poll, trimming our waistlines is not the top New Year’s Resolution this year. In a surprising twist, the top New Year’s Resolution in America this year is being a better person. It may be prompted by all of the negativity that has been swirling around for the majority of 2017 that has people wanting to lighten up; or maybe our country is just taking an upward turn and lots of Americans are attempting to start being better people. Either way, this trend is showing that people are thinking about more than just, “New Year, New Me” as we begin 2018. This new leaf turning over is affecting more than us. Being a better person often times means being kinder to the people around you.

Although the goal to “be a better person” seems simplistic, it is the most selfless resolution to top the list in recent years. Being a better person does usually make you feel better, but the best part about it is that it makes the people around you feel better as well.

Whether or not you have a resolution this year, the nice thing about “being a better person” is that it’s something we can all do. It can be as simple as saying “hi” to an extra person in the hall (it may just get you in the Friday Five), or it can be giving someone a random compliment. It may seem like a small gesture to you but for someone who is having a hard time, it could turn around their whole day.

Even if we all have all already given up on our New Year’s Resolutions to be better, the thought was there and I personally believe that this shows progress for our country. The fact that people are even thinking about becoming a kinder, gentler, and simply being better person is uplifting in itself in a time where we are often only reminded of everything bad that is happening.

After all, 2018 just might be different.

Emma Riley, Author

Emma Riley is a senior at Lake Forest High School. Emma spends her days golfing, thinking, and talking about fashion, or eating trendy foods.