Come Out and Watch: Boys Golf Hosts McDermand Invitational This Saturday

Lake Forest High School’s Men’s Golf co-captain Wesley Dixon and the Varsity Boys golf team wrote a letter to Scout Nation seeking support and recognition for their season.

On August 7th at 5 AM, we started our season. This was the first day of tryouts and started what would be for many of us our last season of high school golf. The golf team has meant a lot to all of us in different ways. It has been a constant to the start of our years and provides a smooth and fun transition into the school year. The golf team might be a group of guys that you don’t normally get the chance to know. The golf team is usually on the quieter side (some people are a little louder) but for the most part the team goes about their business quieter than other Scout sports. The guys on the team are the people who you might not notice, but their presence is always felt within a room. As members of the golf team we have been very fortunate to get to know these players on a more personal level. Over the past four years there has been many different personalities on the golf team. From Quinn Gaughan to Jason Folker, there have been qualities that have stood out over the years, that have been recognized in every player that has put on the Scout crested collared shirts.

Determination. Each member of our team knows that each year we have a really good chance at winning the state championship and we are determined to try to do everything that we can to achieve this goal.

Resilience. Each member shows that even after bad shots or bad holes, they can bounce back. No matter how bad they are playing, everyone is resilient and keeps fighting.

The last is work ethic. To make the boys golf team is no easy feat. Nothing is given to you and nothing is guaranteed. Each member of the team works tirelessly throughout the year to  hone their skills for the upcoming season.

Ever since we hit the first tee shot on August 7th, we knew that this team could be special. We knew this year that we have a really good shot to be in a position on October 14th to win an IHSA State Championship. Last year, with our season cut short of the state tournament, we are hungry for revenge. For some of the guys it will mark their third–and in one special case, fourth–year on varsity. We have matured and grown up through playing varsity golf. This year we have no shortage of talent. Each member of the lineup would start on any other team in the state. That’s what makes us so special. We are led by players who have been in this situation since freshman year to give advice. The talent on this year’s team has been on full display this whole season. The varsity team has yet to drop a conference match, we have won 7 tournaments and haven’t lost a 9 hole match. The 2017 men’s golf team is looking to make a deep state run. For most of the varsity team this is our last year playing competitive golf. This is also our last year playing with the people who we grew up learning to play the game with. We are looking to make a deep state run, fronted by the top six guys who are playing at the end. This year could be something special. The golf team is looking to win its first state championship since Joe Willis and the rest of his team accomplished this feat in 2012.

While we realize that golf is an extremely long sporting event (and sometimes can even be boring), we would love for Scout Nation to come out and support the team at our home invitational. On Saturday, September 23, at Lake Bluff Golf Course we host our yearly Lake Forest High School McDermand invitational. In our four years on the team we have never been fortunate enough to have a student section. We are one of the few sports that can say this. We would love to change that. We want Scout Nation to come out and support the team.

Do it for the people that you notice in class wearing a scouts golf pullover who you never have gotten the chance to know.

Do it for Mr. Matheson, who taught most people in Lake Forest High School’s Driver’s Education system how to drive. Do it for Scout pride. We play for each other each and every week. Firing up teammates when we see them spread out throughout the course, to give us the extra motivation in hopes of playing our very best. But we want Saturday, September 23 to be different. We want the students of Lake Forest High School to be there cheering and bringing energy to a quieter sport. Bring signs, get rowdy, and have fun sporting the LFHS Men’s golf team. It would be awesome to give the team a major momentum boost before we start playoffs, with the first round being our conference tournament on Tuesday, September 26. So on Saturday, September 23, we hope to be playing for someone different than each other. On Saturday, September 23 at 1 pm  we hope to play for all of you. We hope to play for Scout Nation.

Lake Forest Golf Team Members: Sam Davis, Wesley Dixon, Danny Fisher, Scott Frevert, Pierce Grieve, Brooks Kreiling, Erik Luedeking, Patrick Moorhead, Connor Polender, Michael Seaman, Spencer Silvernail, Jed Thomas and Tyler Trachsel. 

Date: Saturday, September 23

Time: 1:00 PM, CST

Location Lake Bluff Golf Course, 355 W. Washington. Lake Bluff, IL 60044