Which senior superlative best describes you?

Baseball Team Opens Playoffs Against Crystal Lake South

Photo Courtesy of Luke Cheng

The Lake Forest Scouts Baseball Team finished the regular season on Tuesday night with a 10-0 win over Taft. The team finished with a regular season record of 15-15. 

The Scouts begin playoffs this Thursday against Crystal Lake South. The Scouts enter the playoffs as a nine-seed and CLS being an eight-seed. The Scouts played Crystal Lake South last Friday at West Campus and won 3-2 with a winning run in the final inning. As a result of their most recent meeting, the game is expected to be close. 

Coming off their win on Tuesday night, the Scouts are “feeling really good” heading into the playoffs. 

“We just had our final game of the regular season against Taft and won 10-0. A lot of guys were able to get in the game, our pitchers pitched extremely well, and our defense was solid,” Coach Michael Nilles said. 

This year, the team has found success in close games and when the energy is high. 

“Energy and timely hitting has been our winning formula this season. Our guys feed off of the energy in the dugout and in the stands,” Nilles said. 

Heading into the playoffs, the team believes they can win games and make a run if they work together. 

“Our approach to win games is to work together. In order to win playoff games everyone needs to be involved and ready to make a play every pitch,”

— Luca Royer

Last season, the Scouts won three games and made it to the sectional final, eventually losing to Grayslake Central. The Scouts look to make a similar playoff run this season. 

Since the Scouts are now in the playoffs, every game could be the last of the season. The Scouts look to keep playing as long as they can for the next few weeks and to make a name for Lake Forest Baseball. 

“I’m very excited to get the playoffs underway and show everybody what Lake Forest baseball is truly about,” Royer said. 

The Scouts’ first playoff game is Thursday at Crystal Lake South at 4 pm against the Gators. With a win on Thursday, the Scouts will face the winner of (1) Wauconda and (16) Vernon Hills at 10 am on Saturday at Crystal Lake South High School.