Which senior superlative best describes you?

Girls Soccer Team Prepares for Regionals

Senior Kendall Snodgrass celebrating after the 1-0 win against Carmel High School (Courtesy of Joel Lerner) 

After finishing their previous season as regional and section champions, the Girls Varsity Soccer Team has built a strong reputation at LFHS.

This year the team holds a (7-8-1) record and will fight for a spot at regionals which starts with their game against Lakes on Friday. 

“We have played the hardest schedule in 2A and hopefully that prepared us well in the State Tournament. We are seeded #5 and have an uphill battle, but we are confident we can rise up,” said Head Varsity Coach Ty Stuckslager. 

The 2024 team succeeds because of their “resilience and camaraderie.” Stuckslager says the team is able to work together to persevere through challenging games.

Although the team has faced many challenges this year with a more difficult schedule, they have gained a few new, highly skilled players from club teams. 

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) prohibits all club athletes from competing on their high school team during the same season. 

Unlike field hockey and lacrosse, club soccer runs all year, depriving many girls of trying out for their high school teams. 

Senior Caroline Kaiser previously played for the FC United Girls Academy Team, and after they eliminated their spring season, Kaiser was able to try out for the team at LFHS. 

The 2023 team after winning their regional game (Courtesy of @lfratchets)

“When you add new players to any team I think it can shift the dynamic a bit since people have to play new positions or learn how different teammates work on the field, but overall adding new club players to the team has been super positive,” said Kaiser. 

Junior Ryan Rice is a returning player on the team who previously played as a center midfielder but has now switched to a center defender.

“I definitely had to adapt to a new position, but I don’t mind because it makes me a more versatile player and it’s to benefit my team. Overall, I’m really glad the club players decided to join,” said Rice. 

Whether the players are brand new or returning from the previous season, they all share a common goal of improving their skills and striving to compete at a higher level. 

“The club players have definitely raised the bar in practices and games and are good role models for how to train and play at a higher level,” said Stuckslager.