“Good”minton: The Badminton Season Kicks Off at LFHS

The girl’s Badminton season officially kicked off on February 26th. Varsity is coached by Mrs. Nicole Frye who has high hopes for the same success they had last year, previously sending four athletes to IHSA sectionals and State. In preparation for the season, the team hosted many open gyms to prepare the athletes on all levels.  

The team consists of two new coaches for this upcoming season, Coach Joey Kowalik (JV 2) and Coach Tom Soprych (JV 1), all eager to take on this upcoming season. 

We had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Tom Soprych who is a part of the Wellness Department and teaches the CPR class. It is his first year coaching JV Badminton and he is excited for a fun season.

Courtesy of LFHS Badminton Instagram

What are you most excited about this upcoming season?

“This is my first year coaching badminton; I’m just hoping I don’t mess things up. I am excited to see the athletes improve as the season goes on.”

What do you think the overall experience for new players is going to be like this upcoming season?

“I think new players are going to be surprised at A. how difficult the game can be, and B. how much they can improve in seven weeks.”

Are there any particular tournaments you’re excited about this season?

“Our first match is a quad at Buffalo Grove High School. I will be by myself in my first match and I’ll be nervously excited. “

Courtesy of LFHS Badminton Instagram

We also had the opportunity to speak to senior Ami Johnson who played on the Varsity team last year. Johnson says she is  “excited for the season to start especially through all the senior stress of classes and college.”

What are you most excited about?

I’m super excited to spend time with the team again. Badminton is a super relaxing sport with minimal pressure, so I’m looking forward to just having fun.” 

How does this add to your overall high school experience?

“Especially now, it’s super important to do something fun. With upcoming AP exams and the stress of college, I’ve found badminton as a source of relief. The goal is to improve from last year but it’s also just to enjoy myself in my last couple months of high school.”

Although the season is a short seven weeks and the NSC championships are on April 23rd, we’re expecting a season full of high energy and school spirit! Be sure to stop by some of the matches this season and cheer on the Scouts!