Scout Playlist Thunderdome

Graphic courtesy of Patrick Kolcan.

After a semester of asking what fellow Scouts are listening to on Spotify, I’ve begun to develop a few opinions of my own. 

Some lists are amazing, while others fall flat, which is why I’ve put together a list ranking my top five playlists made by Scouts. 

Coming from a background of playing in rock bands and wind ensembles, I’m open to hearing just about everything. From rap to country to pure metal, all of these lists will have a little something for everyone. 

Based on what I like, I will be ranking these playlists based on the following categories:

Theme: /10

Versatility: /10

Music choice: /10

Enthusiasm: /10

If you want to go back to see the playlists I will be ranking, click the links below.

Scouts Share Playlists of the Week

Scouts Share Playlists of the Week 2

#5) Sophomore Gabrielle Burke with “n/a

Whatever theme this playlist had before Burke was interviewed is lost to time. This chaotic playlist features literally everything. Some people will say they listen to everything and then they’ll hate some genre. But no. Burke listens to everything.

From showtunes to death metal, this list features plenty of killer tracks from bands such as Ghost and other chill campfire hits like Pinegrove. 

While I can’t say much about the theme, this playlist does a great job of showing off Burke’s taste in music.

Theme: 1/10

Versatility: 10/10

Music Choice: 9/10

Enthusiasm 6/10

TOTAL: 6.5/10

#4) Juniors Miles Mackey and Nick Pizzo repping “jim

Hitting the gym brings a certain level of aggression that can only be matched by the heavy sounds of death metal. Admittedly, metal isn’t for everyone, but if you can handle the freakish sounds from this playlist, you will absolutely love “jim.” Both Mackey and Pizzo will gush about their appreciation for metal music.

Featuring tracks from Bring Me the Horizon and Lorna Shore, this list brings the high octane adrenaline that the gym demands.

Theme: 10/10

Versatility: 4/10

Music Choice: 8/10

Enthusiasm: 8/10

TOTAL: 7.5/10

#3) Freshman Jude Weinstein, representing “XxTheBendsLoverxX”

Putting an Xbox gamer tag in the title of this playlist was already a bold move, but proclaiming his love for Radiohead was even braver. Weinstein’s inclusion of bands like Radiohead and Neutral Milk Hotel only boost the selection of songs on this list, and make for a pretty stellar mix of moods. 

Theme: 10/10

Versatility: 8/10

Music Choice: 8/10

Enthusiasm: 8/10

TOTAL: 8/10

#2) Ed Tech Mr. Jimmy Juliano, representing “Clifford Island Radio 98.9”

After being declared the “Ed Tech Bible,” Juliano’s novel Dead Eleven is naturally going to have an equally astonishing playlist associated with it. Clifford Island Radio 98.9 brings out the nostalgic feeling that Juliano achieved with his debut novel. Featuring tracks from the 90s by bands such as Phish, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Tom Petty, this playlist has songs that nearly anyone can enjoy. 

Theme: 10/10

Music Choice: 8/10

Versatility: 8/10

Enthusiasm: 8/10

TOTAL: 8/10

#1) Spanish teacher Señora Marni Levinson showing off “La lista de la mejor música española de la Señora Lev”

I am biased. I know that, and that is why Levinson’s playlist wins the #1 spot. 

Every day that I go to AP Spanish I hear this playlist, and it’s probably one of the best things that happens during 7th period. This list has so much Spanish content that I don’t even know where to begin.

We’ve got Daddy Yankee, Prince Royce, and Shakira. This isn’t just peak music. This is peak Spanish Music. 

Theme: 9/10

Music Choice: 8/10

Versatility: 9/10

Enthusiasm: 10/10

TOTAL: 9/10